Coral Vue Hydros

What model tanks Best For Pico???

erbinone

I was wondering what models are available and most sucessfull for Pico Reefing?? I already did a search and saw allot of Moon Glow Deco Art Mini Aquarium Nano Tank by Red Sea. What other are there up to 5 gal. tanks??? Please advice.....

neanderthalman

I've got a 1.6 ga acrylic hex - it's sold under different names in different stores. I purchased it under the name "Hexafun" about eight years ago from PetSmart. It is also available under the name "Aquatankplus" at Wal-mart. It's a good tank for a desktop, and the hood fits a small PC bulb nicely without modification. The downside of it is that it is a hexagonal tank, so there isn't as much real estate for equipment on the back wall. It's also a pretty small tank, so you can't do a whole lot of coral collecting.

I've seen lots of people use a 2.5 all glass aquariums. They sell them at PetsMart. But maybe some people don't consider that a pico. I know there was some thread a while back about what is the 'cut-off' size for pico tanks.

Dang, both sound good... I was just worried about filtration and lighting...I would prefer a cube tank rather than a hex. what filters do you use??? Stock or upgraded??

neanderthalman

I don't use a filter, I have a powerhead and heater stuck to the back walls. I'm fragging some GSP to put on the powerhead, so in a few months I won't even see that it's there. My suggestion though, is go for the 2.5 glass - my only complaint is lack of room.

Sounds real good and I'm such a newby but... basically the powerhead just makes a current right?? What does the actual filtration??

neanderthalman

The powerhead just creates a current. There are other methods to create current in your tank, but the powerhead creates the most current. The filtration is all biological - Large particles settle and are eaten by crabs and scavengers. Smaller particles are also eaten by little invertebrates called copepods and/or amphipods that come in your liverock.

Bacteria living in the liverock decompose anything left, producing Ammonia. Other bacteria convert the ammonia to nitrites, which are less toxic, and then more bacteria conver the nitrites to nitrates, wich are even less toxic.

To get a better understanding of how this is established, check out this thread on starting up a faq for those new to reefing. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=42330 About 1/4 of the way through, Slaeyer wrote a comprehensive article on the first two months of a nano. The process is known as "cycling".

Hope that helps

I understand the filtration cycle now and I'm really looking forward into looking for something around the house or something real interesting to start a pico in.

You could set one up in a goldfish bowl...kind of mundane as far as fish keeping but i've never seen a reef in one. Just go to Petsmart or Petco or something, look by the goldfish bowls and you can find all sorts of different things you can use as a tank.

I have 2 picos...one of the hex tanks that I modified the rim around the top very slightly (cut corners from the inside) to fit a small hob filter I got from Walmart (I wanted an external filter to keep as much equipment out of the water as possible! I have a 10 watt 50/50 coralife bulb over it. It's a fun little tank! The other "tank" is a fishbowl glass...lol I could give you details...but I gotta run!

Archived