SaltCritters.com

high salinity levels

patio

i just tested the salinity in my tank and its super high! how can i lower it!

can this be bad ? is anything in danger!

i know this isnt a disease but its the only thing that i thought this might fit into!

ProFlatlander15

well what do you have in your tank? you should lower it slowly by water changes. take some water out, put some more in, with a lower salinity. test it every water change, and bring it down over the course of a few days or so.

Yea when i first started my tank I had high salinity and dropped it in 5 miniutes, yea doing this tends to kill off most to all of your inverts. It can be bad depending on what kind of fish or corals you have.

mine is exactly 1.026 the "ideal" levels are 1.020 - 1.023 on my hydrometer so am i okay?!

and the salinity gets high when the water evaperates (i have no idea how to spell that word) and leaves the salt behind!

thanks for all of the help!

I think you'll be OK. Just slowly replace the evaporated water with fresh water. Keep this "topoff" water handy so you can replace evaporated water frequently so you avoid major salinity changes. I think the exact number 1.023 to 1.026 is less important than the change in the number.

my IO hydrometer read 1.026 and when I checked it against a refractometer it was really at 1.023 If your LFS has a refractometer you might want to get a comparison so you know where your hydrometer is reading. I was really bummed to see how far off mine was.

Archived