inTank Media Baskets

Baby shrimp invasion

ottoman

so my lights have been off for a while and i turned them on for a second do show my girl how much my tank has change since she last saw it. And when i turned it on tons of these little shimpy thingies were around the edge of the tank and started fleeing. I sucked a few up with the turkey baster and put some in a water bottle to photo. thoughts? good bad? there are about mmm a dozen of them (maybe more that weren't near the glass). the only shrimp i have in there now is a peppermint shrimp and i doubt he could procreate without another one.babyshrimp.gif

I dont believe that is a pod I have these in my tank. It started with about 3 real small ones I brought in on some gsp. then there were 12 then 25,100,1000, now 5,000 my tank is infested in as little as 3 months. they look dead up like the creature in this picture sort of like a baby mantis shrimp. I seen a couple of the buggers trying to pull off some button polyp skin today. I think they succeded. Right now I would swear up and down I got a batch of mantis eggs. Does anyone know what these are or how to get rid of them?

they are amphripod gammaras or something like that and I believe this type does eat zoanthids but not to an extent that you need to worry. if you have fish in the tank they will keep the population in check enough to let the coral regrow and outgrow the damage caused.

Pods...pods....pods... harmless..except the larger ones will eat the smaller ones :). You WILL get tons of them in your tank and they are good for it! There are people out here that would even pay you for some. Consider yourself lucky and stop stressin'.

Archived