SaltCritters.com

glass hood for minibow?

s800

Anyone sell a glass top for a AGA 7gal Minibow?

I did the retrofit thing, but I picked up a 2x JBJ and would really like the additional light, but I need some way to still cover the tank.

Any input would be appreciated!

-s800

Make a template to fit the inside lip of the mini bow out of cardboard (make sure you've got the right fit) and take it to a glass shop.. They'll make a glass top for about $20-25...

JB

Follow up question: will the glass shop be able to make the compound shapes along the back I need for the heater cords, skimmer, etc.? (like the back of the AGA hood)

R

If this is a reef tank, it should be open at the top to permit adequate gas exchange at the water's surface. I assume that you're aware of this, right?

Replies to several of the above posts...

The glass shop can make notches, but they will charge extra and as one of the posters said, you need to leave some space for air exchange.

The stock mini-bow hood pretty much covers the top (leaving a little space in the back, maybe an inch or two) so you should be fine doing the same thing with glass...

Here's what I'd do, I'd recess the glass as far back as I could leaving a little play in it and having a straight line across the back. Don't go for the notches... The glass shops can do it, but it'll only make it easier for your glass top to crack + it's more expensive...

Do make sure they use a thick piece... which they problem will any way since its easier to work with for them..

Good luck,

JB

I looked into getting a glass top cut for my bowfront (7 gal aga) and ended up leavign it out. I would love to have one to help keep evaporation down but I would have to take it off come spring time so I can put my microchiller back on the side of the tank. If I can find my damned teclima, I might go and get one cut.

Here's a thought I'd like you're guys opinion on...

The mini bow 7 is a small tank...

My reason for getting my glass tank was 2 fold...

First, I got a 150Watt Radium hanging on top of it...

Second, I originally had an uncut piece of glass sitting on top and I always get a bunch of dust that settles on it and the occassional bug that is attracted to the light and gets too close and doesn't make it...

Without the glass top, all that dust and junk goes into my small 7 gallon ecosystem and into my HOT filter via the overflow attached to my HOT filter...

I know it's better to leave the glass top off for gas exchange reasons, but what about all that dust... I would think it wouldn't be too great for the tank... What do you guys think??

I've always had open topped tanks and I've had no problems at all with dust and bugs building up in the system. Just skim off the surface with each water change to take care of bugs and dust if they are that much of a problem.

Archived