Cultivated Reef

starfish

BustytheSnowMaam

BustytheSnowMaam

Ok, I've been thinking about it and I'm finally just going to do it...I'm going to place a PA order tomorrow afternoon, and I'm thinking of getting a starfish in addition to a couple of other things. I know that there are pros and cons of starfish- which ones are reef safe? I'm thinking of a blue linkia starfish. I read a lot of conflicting info and will just have to figure it all out for myself, but I wanted some feedback from everyone here.

Tasha

if you get the new aquarium fish monthy magazine for this month it has a big article oon which stars are safe and not and so on from what i read the blue linkas are pretty suceptable to snail that burrow into the sand and act like parasties to the star they also said they are hard to care for and dont do good when transporting i cant remeber right now of they said they were reef safe or not but i say maby pick up a copy of afm for this month theres sum good info on stars in there good luck,Chris

BustytheSnowMaam

Thanks for the response,

I think maybe I'll hold off on a star for awhile and spend the money on some new frags instead. I had a wild hair and thought I'd buy one but now I'm reconsidering.

Tasha

Blue linkias are algae film eaters. Not a good choice for a small tank, plus they can get fairly large. Slow and proper acclimation is key for these guys. They are very sensitive to salinity, a several hour acclimation process using a drip method works best. Be sure to keep bag containing animal up to temp while acclimating. Water baths work well for keeping transport bags up to temp.

Archived