Top Shelf Aquatics

VHO vs. PC

Treevore

The 3x75 VHO for sure. Not really a fare comparison though:P.

I am becoming more and more find of VHO again. I've seen some incredible tanks set up with them and I think overall you have a lot more to choose from on the VHO side of things.

Cameron

I don't think there is anything that one can keep that another can't keep. I think it's the quality of the light that is different. You also have a few more variations in bulb availability. PC is very limited.

The VHO color seem to be more natural and give better results in growth, color, and look. Much more vibrant like halide. PC have always given me fairly bland results.

Cameron

So, you are saying that I could stick a clam in there now, but that he wouldn't live as long or healthly? Is there a type of clam that could be fairly happily kept under the VHO's?

Yes, you can do clams but water quality is a huge chunk of care too. I'd start with a Derasa or a Squamosa and see how they do. If you have sucess with them than you can try a Maxima or Crocea.

With your current PC setup a Derasa or Squamosa would be ok but you'd really want that VHO setup for the possibility of Maxima and Crocea.

Cameron

As time progresses there are more variety in PC bulbs. I have seen several ads that say that PCs are substantially brighter watt for watt, but I have never seen the numbers to back it up.

Nobody seems to be able to produce the numbers on NO overdriven NOs, VHOs, and PCs that everyone can agree on.

Treevore, I would try a squamosa before the rest. The maximas, derasas, and croceas require fairly bright lighting.

Over top of an empty 90 gallon, two 50/50 lights, I figured I would need at least two, two light sets, VHO rocks, one more thing a VHO ballast can run a ton of different tubes including Normal flourescents, HO and VHO, at different sizes. So you could get VHO and in a year or two if you decided to upgrade your tank to a 4ft.. or larger you can use the same ballast and just change bulbs, VERY VERY COOL......

I think then, that my main Christmas pressie will be the stuff to set up a 3x75 watt setup in my hood. One question, does 1 super actinic, and 2 50/50s sound good (URI)?

Originally posted by Treevore

I think then, that my main Christmas pressie will be the stuff to set up a 3x75 watt setup in my hood.  One question, does 1 super actinic, and 2 50/50s sound good (URI)?

It would depend on your preference of colors. More actinic will make the colors look nice and bright but may not satisfy clams need for daylight.

I would suggest and even balance to start with. 1 actinic, 1 50/50, and 1 full daylight. You can live with that for a while and see how your critters do than when it is time for a bulb change you have the option of changing you mix or sticking with it. It all depends on how the corals are doing.

Cameron

Another thing you might want to consider is tube life. VHO's require more frequent replacement than PC. You need to look at the TCO. Have you thought about MH? If you're at all thinking about SPS and maximas, you might want to eat the cost up front.

Archived