Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Id help. Eyes peeking out

duleypm

hello,

Over the past 2 weeks I have seen a pair of eyes sticking out of a hole in some fiji rock. The hole is about 1/4" X 1/2". I've only seen it twice and its been real shy. The eyes look like they are on stalks and are able to rotate to look in different directions. Every time I move in closer to get a better look it withdraws and I don't see it for awhile. I was able to get a quick view of it with a flashlight, and the best I could see it was translucent emerald in color. I've searched and looked at pictures of crabs, shrimp, lobsters and anything with eyes. The only thing that comes close are stomatopods. I've only seen it with the lights on, baiting with food and looking at night didn't work. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for any help

I've had this rock for about 2 months from a lfs. The tank has been set up for 4 months. I started with 10 blue legs and 5 astrea snails. About 3 months ago. So far no unexplained deaths, but the largest hermit kept killing the smaller ones until I threw in some larger shells. Everythings been calm since. No harm if it is a mantis, I don't plan on adding any fish for awhile. I'm content on watching what crawls out of the lr for now. It will show itself sooner or later.

thanks

Not that I am anti-mantis or anything, but there is another option. It may be a "coral hermit crab" (Paguritta sp.). However, the fact that you describe two eyes only without a couple of feather-like structures or claws makes this possibility a little remote. But they do just peep out of very little holes and filter the water.

MTC,

here's a pic of a mantis shrimp. Note that this is a peacock kind, not all are so colorful. But they have the same types of eyes. They stick out, and rotate around like a chamaleon's.

Archived