Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clownfish male or female?

fishface

jenniebutterfly

if it is alone, it is sexless, they are hermaphrodites, they have imature organs of both sexes. if you get a pair, the bigger one will become the female, and the smaller one a male

My fish was just bought from a large group. Could this make a differace? also what is the best type of anenomy for my false perc.

jennie -- clowns are not hermaphrodites. they always have a definitive sex, but what sex they are depends on a variety of conditions discussed in the linked threads.

hey fish face if you still can spell anemone you haven't yet done enough research to own one. you need a minimum of 6 mothn in reef keeping befroe you'll have enough experience to try one of these demanding and beautiful creatures.

so hold off on the anemone do lots of research, gain hands on experience with your reef then in a few months post what you've found ask a few edcuated questions and you'll get much better responses that will help you. as of now most of your questions will get flamed becuase it appears you have yet to do any research as of yet. HTH

jenniebutterfly

cadesun they are protandrous hermaphrodites, they are sexless (they have imature organs of both sexes) till they become the male, and then the female, and once they are a female they can not change back. so yes they are hermaphrodites as i stated before :)

true, as larvae the are hermaphrodites. however, the clownfish in the picture is not in its larval form, therfore, it is not a hermaphrodite. perhaps i should have phrased my original statement as "adult clownfish are not hermaphrodites". my fault for not being as clear as i could have been.

jenniebutterfly

in a group of clown fish, there is one female, and one male, thats it, the rest are sexless hermaphrodites, they will become male once it is their turn. until it is a clowns turn to become male they are called neuter which means they have imature organs of both sexes.

where are you reading this? i have never read or heard of anything like that. and when are there groups of clowns? generally, a pair will drive out any other clowns, regardless of sex, in their territory.

jenniebutterfly

no they won't there will be a group of clowns, read the articles i posted. the pair are the dominant clowns in the group, then there are the neuter clowns, once the female dies, the male becomes female, and if the male dies, the next dominant clown of the group becomes the new male.

hmmm, i was just assuming that all clowns were the same, and relating what i knew to be true of maroon clowns to other species. i guess this is not the case.

Archived