ReefCleaners.org

COST: How much I've spent so far (if anyone cares)

Chromis

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone cares or for newbies curious how much stuff is.

Okay my 28 gallon bow-front aquarium is currently "cycling" with the live rock I just got. I obviously have not "stocked" the tank with anything yet. So far I have spent $851.71 for everything. Here is a breakdown:

28 gallon Bow-Front Aquarium $81

Matching Stand $85

Tropic Marin Hydrometer $17

150 watt Ebo Jager Heater $16

Tropic Marin Basic Test Kit $25

Big Plastic Tongs $4

Magnet Scrapper $6

MaxiJet 400 Powerhead $15

MaxiJet 400 Powerhead $15

Salifert Calcium Test $14

Salifert Phosphate Test $11

Black Spray Paint $2

Bucket $4

Light Timer $5

Power Strip $8

Egg Crate $9

7" Clip On Desk Fan $8

Turkey Baster $2

Siphon $10

5 gallon bottle (for top off system) $13

Airline Tubing (for top off system) $4

AquaClear MINI $20

Instant Ocean (200 gallon bucket) $50

18 lbs. Seaflor Special Grade Argonite $13

Digital Thermometer $28

14 lbs. Lace Rock $23

Live Sand Scoop (from DJM) $7

Huge Live Sand Scoop (from Dave ESPI) $10

20 lbs. of Live Rock (from liverocks.com) $131

2x55watt PC Hood (petsupplyliquidator.com) $173

This doesn't all add up to the total because I paid shipping from different places (petwarehouse.com, fishsupply.com, reeffanatic.com). The lights and live rock listed above include the shipping costs.

Hope this helps someone somewhere...

Thanks for the post, Chromis. I think its very important for people to know what they're getting into as far as cost is concerned to get a really nice system together.

I have many interests, some more expensive and some less but in terms of dollars spent per hour of enjoyment, nanoreefing is WAY out in front of the pack.

Don't forget your livestock, food and additives. I know I just added mine up and my Aqua C skimmer and preskimmer knocked me over the $1000 mark to date for a 29g with refugium. I am planning on upgrading my lighting to MH soon as well. Hey .... its only money!!!

X)

Still working on the reef tank, but so far I have spent abut $2,000 on a FO 55gal. I'll let ya know about the reef when it's done, if I add it up right now I'm liable to bail out before I become too committed and can't! (J/K)

man you havent spent alot yet i have been planing a 28 bow for about a year now spent about 8000 and got barely anything i still need to get lighting and lr and ls the stand and so on i plan my tank to be at least 3000 when i buy everything, good luck Chris

cjm033 is talking out his ass

man you havent spent alot yet i have been planing a 28 bow for about a year now spent about 8000 and got barely anythingChris

WTF?

liar.

that has to be a typo. X)

Heh. My next tank will be a 65 or so when I get a house. I figure I'll need to save up about $5,000-6,000 first. Of course, I can't tell that to any non reefers. If anyone asks, the whole thing was like $500. Otherwise, I think they'd get out the straightjacket and lock me up. ;)

Archived