Top Shelf Aquatics

Say hello to my little friend: 3.18 Modded 6g

nanocustoms.com

nanocustoms.com

Say hello to my little friend.

3.18 Modded 6g

I basically gutted the cube and added 2 sets of ponys to drive them.

Configuration:

nanocustoms 3.18 Series 6g Prototype

Pony 226 (2x18w)

Pony 126 (1x18w)

2x 7100K Realux Daylight Bulb

1x Actinic Blue Realux Bulb

This badboys putting out about 7000 lux at the bottom and hits 25000lux at approximately 4 inches from teh light. It peaks at 40000 lux at the splashguard, so its got some power.

Undergoing long term testing now.

Here are some shots.

Nice!

Hope I can get a DIY kit to add an extra 18w to my stock setup. I assume the balasts are external? what size are they?

nanocustoms.com

im driving them with my CFB72 (modded JBJ ballast with 3x18 or 3x24w ballasts). I plan to drive the 2.18 series mods with the stock JBJ ballast.

Pricing is going to be determined later this week and after some extended testing. My Girlfriend has a 6g that the prototype is going on, and in true nanocustoms fashion, become guinea pig #1.

Just some side notes, I have an IR temp gun now, so i can take readings all over the place.

The 3.18 series runs 105-107 F (in hood) and the STOCK JBJ 18w Hood runs as hot as 126F.

Its just funny how a little extra engineering can make a difference.

I pulled the ballast out, popped in some new fans, and grabbed an already modded ballast (same as my 12g DX ballasts) and went to work.

I havent had a weekend to tinker lately, so this is my new little friend...

Chris

you've gone and done it again chris, good stuff! :)

after testing, when can we expect the first one of these little guys to be available for purchase? (and what about price range?)

Thats great, I just ordered a 6 gal nanocube yesterday! I was hoping there would be a way to add a bit more light. Keep us informed as to when a DIY kit will be available and the price. I want one. Thank you Chris. I'll be keeping my eyes open for this one, Skip

nanocustoms.com

No problem... I expect the DIY will be released in about a month, with the modded 6s released later this week.

Chris

Rick J G "How the heck do you mod a ballast?";

I should have said, i modded the enclosure to fit an extra ballast, in the same fashion as I mod the 12g DX. Actually its the same ballast.

The stock JBJ (12g DX) is a fulham pony 226, i add a fulham pony 126 and put it into the stock DX enclosure. The 6g comes with JBJ's not so reliable ballast (ala Original Models) that goes inside the hood.

Ive noticed temps are lower and the fans are a bit quieter.

Also Rick, I havent gotten around to ordering those 27w bulbs, but you should be happy to know that the Stock DX ballast (pony x26 series) will fire 3 bulbs, 18w/24w/27w...

Chris

Hi,

Thanks for your patience everyone.

I am just waiting for some of the final parts so I can finalize specs, namely the fuge light.

FYI, tho, the 2.18 will start at 169 and the 3.18 will start at 209, with (hopefully) options for a fuge.

Chris

Archived