Coral Vue Hydros

Royal Gramma with white "thingy" on gill plate

MinibowMatt

MinibowMatt

I have a new ROyal gramma- been in the tank for a little over a week. He has a white stringy thing growing on his gill plate. it started as a small spot, now it is about 1/8" long, bright white and weird looking. Im not sure if it is a parasite or not. It doesnt appear to be cotton-like, so i dont think itis that disease. It also isnt ICH. any thoughts on what it is? I have heard of a disease where they get tumor like growths..

Im not really sure. His behavior hasnt changed much as hes still skittish in his new tank, but he is getting more social and eats.

Thanx,

Matt

Well b/c there is no pic I can't be sure, but flukes usually attack the gill plates. It's just a guess - just trying to help. Freshwater dips are commonly the first defense against flukes and other flesh attacking parasites. A two minute dip won't hurt the fish. Google it, check it out. Good luck and hey if it's not a parasite disregard this info, it might just be an earring.

I have had success removing them via forceps and painting copper/malachite green mixture (very diluted) with a cotton swab; of course it was on a foot long koi, but what have you got to loose? Why don't you post a pic and we can be sure!

Archived