SaltCritters.com

zooanthids won't open

scott6480

I moved some very healthy zooanthids from the tank in my office to the cube at my house.

I had wedged them into a crack in the rock and they would always slip out and float around the tank.

My buddy told me to superglue them to the rock. So I did that and ever since they have not opened up.

I also added a small rock with some sea mat on them and they opened up partially for the first day or two now they only open aprox 10%.

they are in a 24gal nanocube no light mods or pump.

water specs are between 79-81 deg.

0 amonia

10ppm nitrates

0 nitrites

lights are on from 8am to 7:!5pm

water changes every other week.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have had some stuff like this happen lately. In the 50 gal tank I put some mushrooms out of my tank and they are shrivled up and not lookin good at all. But when we took them to the Nano-Cube they opened up and look great. But everything looks great in the 50 gal including yumas, xenia, and other shrooms. So I dont know what to tell ya.

New2NanoReefs

I am still a newbie, but when I got my first polyps they didn't open for a week, due from stress of being shipped. How long have your's been in their new tank? I know that they had to of been stressed from going from an old tank, floating around, and then being superglued. Maybe just give them a few more days to adjust. Also, where there any drastic light changes?

scott, i have 5 tanks, including 3 nanocubes. due to the small nature of nanocubes you can exp. fluctuations in your water paremeters that basis tests dont pick up. what i find successful to do when my zoos are not opening is to do a water change. small water changes every few days. i find that this simple method usualy causes my zoos to open up eventually. also try moving them to a diff. location in your tank. best of luck

What kind of glue did you use? The only ones that people recommend in general are the marine epoxies and Superglue gels that are cyanoacrylate ester based. There maybe others, but I'm not sure if they're safe. You didn't use something like Xylene (model kit) glue, did you?

Archived