Innovative Marine Aquariums

Toadstool leather- babies?

BustytheSnowMaam

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi,

I noticed tonite that my toadstool has these little transluscent growths coming out from the base- are these future babies?

Tasha

maybe ??? (my 1st guess too)

or have you changed lights or bulbs recently?

moved the coral higher or replaced your carbon (if you use it at all)?

Very possible you now have some toadstool buds. Very cool....they will start to grow pretty quick and will likely seperate from the big one.

Cameron

BustytheSnowMaam

Tinyreef,

I haven't used carbon in awhile, but just out of curiousity, what difference would that make?

Thanks guys, I hope maybe I'll have some little ones soon- that would be cool.

Tasha

just a curious. sprung & delbeek had noted translucent bulges or bubbles on shrooms from uv overexposure. thought maybe something similar was occurring here. i'm seeing similar symptoms on my new xenia frags. i think satch had them under pc's and i have them right under my mh. X)

the thought on the carbon is that it would remove any tinting in the water and/or any other filtering contaminants in the water column. if you had just switched a fresh batch after a long period of no maintenance :rolleyes: then the 'shock' of exposure may cause the 'sunburn bubbles' ??? (it was just a thought, ok? X) ). btw it was basically the same thought process for the lights and positioning.

BustytheSnowMaam

Tinyreef,

I understand your thinking now. These "babies" are way down at the base, where the coral attached itself to my rock. I think they are truly growths and not the results of any kind of stress.

This morning I noticed one is taking on a crown shape at the top, so it furthers my belief that these are offspring. It will be neat to see them grow, if indeed, that is what they are.

Tasha

Archived