Pod Your Reef

Back and smaller than ever (7 bow pics inside)

Kapelakin

I'd planned on moving my 20 into my 7 at some point this year, since I'll be moving in the spring. However, plans were fast-forwarded due to "apartment inspections" (not supposed to have anything over 10 gallons.

Here are some pics of the new tank. I moved over probably 15-18 pounds of the Gulf-View live rock. It's currently lit with a 14 watt 10,000K NO, but I have a 28 watt PC on the way. I'm hoping to trade the Bangaii cardinal, coral banded shrimp, and some of the anthelia polyps for some mushrooms, zooanthids, or other polyps at some point in the next week or two. Circulation is a Penguin Mini with no cartridge. I'm thinking of rigging a mini-jet that's sitting idle behind the rocks with a spray bar for more circulation. So far, I actually like it better than my 20, which really needed more corals than I can afford.

Here's a picture of my blurry Percula with the anthelia polyps and lime-green leather I got from IPSF. They've both about tripled over the summer. I've started a new colony of the anthelias, which you can see in the upper right of the first picture.

What's up Kap? Long time no see. Tank looks great. It's a shame about the 20, last I had seen it was coming along great. Glad you're happy with the 7, at least.

Thanks! I just moved over about 5 lbs of sand off the surface of my 20 before putting the water in. It was cloudy for about 8 hours, but I put the fish and inverts in and had no problems.

I'm hoping I didn't bring my red slime problem with me in the move. My 20 never really settled in correctly. I was doing 3 gal water changes every week, and never used anything but RO, but the second the red slime went away, and I cut back to water changes every two weeks, the slime came back. Going back to weekly water changes, and running phosphate sponge didn't really help. I think part of the problem was that I wasn't able to get a fine enough sand to get my DSB functioning correctly, so it was acting as a nutrient sink. Anyway, lessons learned for when I sink thousands into a bigger tank someday...

I'll try to stick around for a while, and update when I get my lights, and hopefully trade some livestock for new corals. :)

• 1 year later...

just a quick tip for introducing sand to a tank...

get a ziploc bag, fill it, close it, and cut a small hole in one bottom corner. this way the sand flows out in a single column and there is almost no clouding (well some, but not for 8 hours ;o)

Archived