Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Deep water Acropora.

BelowH2O

After seeing numerous beautiful pieces of deepwater acro recently, my curiosity has been sparked. Can any of you SPS fanatics give me some info about the care of these corals.

Are they just acros that have adjusted to deepwater conditions? Meaning they could be adjusted to higher light. Or do they actually require lower light conditions?

reef hugger

I have noticed that they do better in tanks with 20K MHs. They also tend to do better with a lower current compared to other acro's. I don't know if this is correct but, those are the conditions that I have seen them do really well under.

I haven't personally attained any (yet :D), but I've also heard that they do a little better under 20k's. The one thing that I've learned from acropora is that they can and will adapt to any lighting condition provided that they are slowly acclimated to it and receive strong flow and pristine water quality.

Does anyone have any examples of deep-water acropora? I really don't know the difference. Though a bluer spectrum sounds to me like it'd be better, since those are the wavelengths that penetrate deeper water. Interesting...

I always see them on the atlantis aquariums page. I would really like to know the depth most of these are collected from.

they do well under regular lighting too. The actinics probably just makes the colors pop more. Theyre relatively easy to keep, with slow growth. I like the purple Lokani. :)

The Lokani is my favorite too, but the electric green version rather than the purple. All the deepwater acros seem to look about the same. I think A. carolina might be considered one too.

Archived