inTank Media Baskets

help with salt!!!

jovis67

ok im just getting my new nano set up i added the salt premixed for 10 gallon, that was 3 days ago. heres the problem the salt wont disolve. theres still prob 3-4 Tbs on the bottom of the tank. but i just took a salt reading and my sg is only 1.022. could the stuff on the botton be white sand? could it be due to watter temp?

thanks for all the help im really having problems getting this one set up.

i have one more question. how fast will a moray eel out grow a 10 gallon tank its 3-5 in now i plan on moving it when i get my 125 gallon set up in a month or so.

thanks

jovis67 is scareing me.....

ok im just getting my new nano set up..... i added the salt premixed for 10 gallon, that was 3 days ago.  could the stuff on the botton be white sand? could it be due to watter temp?

thanks for all the help im really having problems getting this one set up.

i plan on moving it when i get my 125 gallon set up in a month or so.  

you have issues.

suck out the residual grains, whatever they are. add more salt to get to where you want to be.

you don't have the eel yet, right? or is it in another 10g? ???

is it a true moray or another type of eel?

I've actually had some residual salt that wouldn't dissolve before from Instant Ocean and Kent salts. Kinda wierd. Temperature will affect it to but I usually just siphon it out and add a little more until my SG is correct.

Cameron

There are some compounds in marine salt mixes that will coagulate if you try to dissolve it in hot water - you end up with an insuluable precipitant. It seems counterintuitive; you'd think that heat would increase soluability! However, I used to mix up tons of salt at a LFs and I've seen this happen.

Of course, it could be crappy salt or a bad hydrometer;)

you don't have the eel yet, right? or is it in another 10g?

no i seen it at lfs i just thought it would be a cool addition intill it was bigger. it looked like a tessalata or zebra moray eel.

thanks for all the help

i think it was just bad salt

Archived