SaltCritters.com

Doing water changes

coogarts

How do you conduct water changes in a nano-cube? I plan on getting my setup underway shortly but I'm confused as to how water changes are done on the cube. Syphon? Python?

ProFlatlander15

one end of the hose goes into the tank, the other your mouth. suck, watch the water, and when it comes over the rim of the tank (or as close as your willing to get it to your mouth) put that end in a bucket.

Originally posted by ProFlatlander15

one end of the hose goes into the tank, the other your mouth.  suck, watch the water, and when it comes over the rim of the tank (or as close as your willing to get it to your mouth) put that end in a bucket.

Seriously?

If you have the space on the back of your tank this makes water changes a snap.

(2) 1/4" PVC elbows, a 1/4" ball valve, some short nipples and soft tubing.

I put 1 syphon opening under the faucet while holding the other end to. I fill the syphon up with water and when its full i put a finger on 1 end to hold the water. Then I bring the syphon to the fish tank while still having 1 finger on a syphon opening. Then I put the other end of the syphon into the tank and then release the end I had my finger on.

I just turn the pumps off and dip a 4 cup measuring cup in there twice. Then I put 8 cups of new water back in the tank. Easy as that :)

Everyone says nanocube's are really only 10 gallons, and if you figure your rock and sand take up another 2 gallons that leaves 8 gallons. 8 cups is .5 gallons so it's only a 6.2% water change, but I do them bi-weekly

- Daniel

Easy way # 101. make or purchase a small gravel vacuum for aquariums, around 10 bucks. when u fill the attachment end with water, tilt it up until the water begins to flow down the hose and quickly submerge back into water. do one better and install a stop valve inline so as to stop flow without losing syphon. (this is only really needed for larger tanks where u need to empty your bucket)

ClarkiiClown

I scrub the glass to remove any unwanted stuff. It also helps dislodge anything on the rocks. I use a 16oz cup and remove 3.5 cups of water.

I have a dedicated one gallon jug that I use for the new water. Add to the sump side and there ya go.

I use the stealing gas method and let it drain into the bucket. Ummm, Ummm, sometimes I also wind up having to spit into the bucket. I wait a little too late but I'm getting better at it!

Cindy

BKtomodachi

I dont have a cube... but you can just put the tubing in front of where your flow comes out and it'll push the water up the tube to start siphon.

Originally posted by ProFlatlander15

one end of the hose goes into the tank, the other your mouth.  suck, watch the water, and when it comes over the rim of the tank (or as close as your willing to get it to your mouth) put that end in a bucket.

Originally posted by coogarts

Seriously?

yes Serious. I always do that. It went into my mouth several times and all I have to do is spit it out. No big deal.

Originally posted by BKtomodachi

I dont have a cube... but you can just put the tubing in front of where your flow comes out and it'll push the water up the tube to start siphon.

BKtomodachi , I like your idea I'll have to give it a try this week end. I really hate the taste of salt water especially when it winds up being a big mouth full. lol.

Cindy

I have a 2 buckets marked at 12 quarts. Every saturday I mix 12 new, and on sunday, I pull 12 from tank and add the new. Only other thing I have been doing is supplement calcium and a bit of PH buffer. This is a 24DX

Archived