Coral Vue Hydros

Catalina goby info

skabooya

Hey i have just come into a new 10gal tank. Im thinking of turning it into a catalina goby tank FOLR. Im thinking of doing the live rock and sand with a filter (maybe a fluval... there are metal parts in it though that touch water isint that a bad thing?) a few hermets the light will just be the standard light the tank comes with i dont want any coral unless they dont use light at all. Ive been told that fan worms dont need light so i guess i will have a few of those in there. and yea 1 or 2 catalina gobys.. most likely just one. and of course the temp will be cooler than a normal reef so it will be just perfect for the goby. ummm is there a temp and light requirement for live rock because if their is then i can just get some dead rock and put the fan worms around it.

The thing you would have to watch out for is the other occupants you put in the tank would also need to be temperate. Other than that I think it would work out fine if you can keep the temp down. Try setting the tank up (equipmentwise) the way you want it and see what kind of temps it runs without any livestock in it. Good luck, Skip

picasso trigger

Catalina Gobies need temps in the 60s and upper 50s is fine, 70s plus is to warm. If you are not going to be able to pull that off then I would look for another warmer water species.

Ron

yea i know that they are cold water fish but that is the only info i can get on them. can i do a FOWLR setup with these guys? or does LR need a specific Temp and light requirement? and are their any corals or cold water marine plants that might do ok with them and with LOW light? also i have a fluval filter when the water goes through it passes through a metal fan. The water is salt water obdviously. will this harm the filter at all?

ndfootball5489

Actually i believe you can get them from 2 different locations. One of them is in the cooler climates, the other i believe comes from more tropical climates. If i am not mistaking

What about my other questions?

LR need specific temp or light requirement?

Fluval filter safe in saltwater? (it has metal parts that the water will go through)

oh pwease!!! these are just a few specific questions ... even if i dont do a catalina goby tank

LR and Filter

please somebody?

ndfootball5489

If water is going to be touching metal parts, then it is not good. Those metal parts are going to rust and probably release iron into your system. In turn iron causes lots and lots of algae growth.

I dont plan on having any other inhabitants in that tank except the catalina goby.. 1 or 2 (still need to do some more research on that). And yea i figured as much about the filter, i just wanted to make sure. Any ideas about what corals would go good in a cold water tank? the lighting is gonna be low too if im doing a catalina tank (that way i can keep the temp down).

Archived