Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SPS not opening up

slusamson

Hello everyone. I have a 30g oceanic cube with a 250w MH on it. About 2 weeks ago I added my first pieces of SPS. One is a nice piece of encrusting montipora and the other is pink stylophora. I'm concerned because neither of them extent their polyps. I did a water change thinking water qualty wasn't good despite what my tests said and nothing has improved. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

BKtomodachi

We'll need a list of water params... as well as how long the tanks been up.

What does the rest of the coral look like? bleached or no?

I'll go run some tests in a few minutes... as for bleaching, the montipora is colored just like it was when i got it....actually colored up in some dull areas... I'll take some pics and post with the water params... the stylophora was just beginning to color up when i got it... it was laying crooked in the tank i bought it from so one side was a bit brown. It's supposed to be pink. I'll get you some params in about 10 minutes

thanks

ok, tank params

ammonia 0

nitrate 5

nitrite 0

ph 8.2

calcium 420 ppm

KH - 150 ppm

tank has been up since october

pictures of corals to follow

thanks again

ProFlatlander15

i set my tank up in october, and i have a monti digitata under PCs with no problem. however, how much flow does the sps have? they likve alot of flow, not directly at them though. the polyps did not fully extend on my sps until about 3 weeks after i got it.

EtOH_is_good

what lights were they under when you bought them? where in the tank were they preveiously? current light schedule? where are they now in the tank? top? middle? bottom? basically any info on current and light patterns would be beneficial for assistance.

they were under metal halides when i bought them. the montipora was in the middle of the tank and the stylophora was at the bottom. i had them at the bottom of my tank for the first week and just moved them up to the middle. my lighting schedule goes as follows

7AM Actinics on

7:30 MH on (20K by the way)

9:30 MH off and actinics left on

12:00 MH on

1:00 MH off

5:30 MH on

8:00 MH off

9:30 actinic off

moonlights all the time.

Archived