ReefCleaners.org

Nano Cube Filtration

jessran_88

I work at a LFS and we pretty regularly set up nano reefs as a display and for sale. My boss has never had a problem just leaving the stock filtration alone. He doesn't remove the bioballs or cermaic rings--He talked to a jbj rep and she said they reccomend the removal because it is possible to build up nitrates but it would take about 35 lbs of balls on the 24 gallon cube to cause a problem. Some of our customers modified their cubes and most others leave it stock without any problems.

I was thinking about setting up a 24 gallon dx cube but I am wondering what everyone does with their filtration chambers.

Jessica--

I have a 12 gallon dx. I took out the bio balls but left the rest stock, it's been up and running for 8 months and everything is happy and healthy. I've never had a nitrate show up in a test except for the cycling period. All I do is a 10% water change every week and wash the sponges out once a month.

After reading about the "take everything out" vs "leave it in" I ended up taking out the balls and rings and putting in about 2 pounds of broken LR in the 2nd bay. My tank is in its 1st week of cycling so I can't give you any results but it makes sense that the added LR can't hurt. I do have the sponge in the 1st bay but cut it in half.

1st chamber = carbon, sponge, stock powerhead

2nd chamber = LR and LS

3rd chamber = heater and MaxiJet 606

been working great...

Jessica, were abouts are you in michigan? Im from Michigan as well!

I also have a 24 gallon nano cube. I left a sponge in the first compartment, Live Rock in the second, and rio 1100 PH in the third with some chemi pure.

12398FT-NANO-3-10-05-med.jpg

yellow polyps

green star polyps

frogspawn

blue zoos

turbo snail (temp)

3 hermits and 3 snails

and its been setup for about 4 months

I have a 12G DX. Has been set up since Nov '04. First chamber I have a PolyFilter and the stock black sponge. 2nd chamber I have a bag of ChemiPure and a bag of Purigen. 3rd chamber I have a rio 600 with a heater set at 79 degrees. I have ~9lbs of LR in display area.

Phosphates: Undetectable

Nitrates: Undetectable

Calcium: 450 ppm

Fish:

False Percula Clown

Yellow Clown Gobie

Corals:

Pumping Xenia

StarBurst polyp

Green Pocillopora

Green Motipora Digitata

Purple Motipora Digitata

Green Colony Polyp

2 mushroom colonies

Inverts:

Trochus snail

Sally Lightfoot crab

3 Red Leg Hermit crabs

Plants:

Halimeda

Shaving Brush

kevin25-I'm from Grand Haven--way other side of the state from you. Have you ever been to the store Tropicorium in Romulus? 2 of our regular customers went there and said it was pretty impressive. Just wondering if it was really that great.

Jessica

--Thanks to everyone who has posted--it's been helpful!

Hey jess, I have been to tropicorium a couples of times. It is like an hour drive for me but well worth it. What I like about that place is that they have a wide selection of everything. I couldnt beleive how many frags, and rare corals they had that you normally wouldnt see at your LFS. The trip is well worth it. I am thinking about going there again next week.

Good luck on your 24 gallon nano cube. I love mine. Everyone is going to have different answers about the filteration on it. Try a search and maybe you well get some more ideas.

Archived