inTank Media Baskets

White Film On New Live Rock

skotd

I noticed that on the LV that I just purchased a week ago, I had a film like the skin on the top of warm milk on some of the rock. At first it looked hard, but then started shaking like Jell-O..After a while it tore and I was able to suck it off with a Turkey bester. It looked like it had spread at one time,but stopped. Is this part of a sponge? under most of it was some yellow sponge material. Also my hermits that I bought have been dying off one by one (mantis shrimp will not die though).. Not sure if connected,Harmless etc. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 12 gal nano. I started with 7LB of LR and 15 LB or LS. When it cycled I added more rock to total 22 LB. I also bought 10 hermits.

by adding more LR you started a new cycle. I'll bet your hermits are dying because of an ammonia spike. test your params and if ammonia and/or nitrites are high then do a series of small water changes to bring the levels down (if you want to save what's left in your tank). the white film is a result of die-off.

are the hermits shells craked? if so its the mantis if not then it probably means that some of your levels are off in your tank...good luck

have not looked at the shells, just find the crab intacted.. Wouldn't the manits eat the crab.. or would it just kill. I think it is levels.. quite a bit of die off and water did have a mild odor

Archived