Top Shelf Aquatics

bubble shroom identification

davinaster

I was joking about rare - kind of. Like I said, I was surprised at how hard it's been to find a picture that looks like it. Are you saying I can't find a picture that looks like it because it's not healthy? Can you point me to a picture of a healthy one so I know what I'm aiming for? Also, advice about how to get there would be helpful.

I also think it's stressed, but getting more healthy in my tank. When I got it about a month ago it was smaller than a dime, completely shriveled up, and it was totally white except for the green spots on its tips. Now it is definitely getting some tan/brown color, which I assume to be healthy zooanthellae colonization. It takes most of the day, but by afternoon, the tentacles are fairly puffy. Like I said, it's taking mysis when offered.

It's about midway down in a 15g Via Aqua under 84w 50/50 PCs, medium current (it does not seem disturbed by the current and it's coloring up under the light.)

So again, a picture of a healthy, common :) one and care suggestions would be appreciated.

re: your avatar - ferrel as in play on words for feral I get. Is the kitty made of iron like the robot, thus ferrel?

yeah, that thing is definetly bleached out if it is a rhodactis shroom. eventually it'll gain it's color back. if you look at the first couple pages of my member tank thread i had some hairy mushrooms similar to this(they were HUGE though...around 4 inches or so, iirc).

if it isn't detaching and you are noticing a greater saturation in color, that's good. i'm guessing it's a small polyp? as it gets bigger; the growing disc will space the tentacles out a little more and it will look more like the pictures you see online

kitty + robot = world domination

The polyp is about an inch in diameter. Ah, the tentacles will get more spaced out? That explains it! I finally got a decent picture of it. You can see why I was having trouble describing the shape of the tentacles. And this picture is so detailed you can see the green spots. I love my new camera :)

rhodactis.jpg

I'll add you to the list lol. At this rate, I'll have to cut that puppy up like a pizza :D

I fed the "bubble shroom" again tonight, and after it ate it swelled up, got space between its tentacles, and the tentacles themselves got much longer and thinner. I appreciate everyone's input - it was really bugging me!

Archived