Pod Your Reef

Hitchhiker on one of my snails

jayk

Lots going on in my 6 gallon nano today.  One of my small anemones decided to catch a ride on a snail - I guess this is fast way to get around if you're an anemone!  I also think my crab is trying to kick my brain coral off its perch and I saw some strange worm thing for the first time today.  

hitchhiker1.jpg

Looks like he's trying to kick him off now...

hitchhiker2.jpg

Here's a (crappy) pic of the whole tank.  I need to get a tripod so I can take a decent shot.

jaytank1.jpg

The tanks is a modified Eclipse-6 (2x18W lights).  About 12lbs of live rock, a brain coral, some green polyps, some other coral I can't identify, some snails, a hermit, and some other critters that came in on the [uncured] live rock (including that pesky crab that I think has it in for my brain).   I also have a royal dottyback and a blue damsel.  I thought I was pushing things with the second fish, but so far ammonia and nitrite levels have been very low.   The tank's been running since Sept. '01.  The dottyback went in in October, and the damsel about a month ago.  It's been great fun!

(Edited by jayk at 6:19 pm on July 2, 2002)

Nice tank.  Love the brain coral (--they're one of my fav corals :) ) And yes, that snail looks pretty cool with a stinging weapon stuck on his side :)

fishymissy

That is a very cool picture!!

I thought one of my snails looked nice with a small featherduster on it's shell, but this is even better!!

One thing though....that looks like a majano anemone....they can reproduce quite fast, and they will sting other corals. I have some in my tank too, and while I think they look rather cool, I've had to remove most of them from my tank as they tend to wander. Of course the one in the pic, sure found a great way to get around!!

NaNO ReeFiN

I've seen anemone's attached to large hermit crab shells but this is much more hilarious! Thanks for the cool pics jayk.

I have a flame scallop that attached itself to a turbo snail for a few days.  

That was awesome, the scallop was at least twice the size and weight of the poor snail...but it kept trucking on :)

Archived