SaltCritters.com

tank raised clown and purple firefish

aumontmatthew

aumontmatthew

okay so a couple of days ago i finally purchased the fish im going to keep in my 12g nanocube. they are healthy and eating but the firefish rarely swims around, he is always hiding in my rock work unless it is feeding time. is this their natural behaviour?

thanks,

matt

I believe so Aumontmatthew. Mine did the same thing. It's a shame because they are so nice looking and they only come out to eat. Mine would come out alot before but my damsel started to punk him around and then it was just rock time for him.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a regular firefish in my tank, and it spent all day under a rock only coming out to feed. Eventually it just gave up on life and kept trying to leave my nano. it would do this by going around the tank all of a sudden real fast and then shoot up and into my hood where most of the time it would bounce back into my tank. The other times it would go into the back where it would take me in the order of 40 min to get him out without hurting him. Eventually i just gave up and returned him and my LFS guy was cool, he said they sometimes need schools (i'm not sure about purple fire fish) but most of the time they can get along on their own just fine.

Yeah firefish are a bit weak and dont take stress quite well. They will rather go carpet surfing before an a$$ kicking, hehe.

Archived