Top Shelf Aquatics

skimmer for 20g?

mchammer

Hi,

Currently I don't use a skimmer for my 20g. The water is very cloudy and there are contaminants on the water surface. I want to get a small, quiet, and efficient skimmer for this tank. Any suggestion?

I liked my CPR Bak Pak 2R. It wasn't really "quiet" but I learned to live with it, even with the tank being in my bedroom.

I had a BakPak 2R and currently have an AquaC Remora, the Remora is alot quieter and I think it skims better too.

About the cloudy water, have you tried running carbon at all? How often do you do water changes and what is in the tank?

skipm,

I change 15% water each week. I have a frog, hammer, maroon clown, cleaner shrimp, 9 astrea snails, 4 hermits, feather duster, orange sea star, and emeral crab. The cloudiness also comes from my clown disturbing the sand bed.

Can you describe how carbon is run through the system? Does this have any negative affect on corals?

Cloudy water is one of my many problems. The clown takes small bites at both my frog and hammer. Originally, I thought the problem with my corals not openning fully is due to lighting, flow, and acclimation. After spending a week changing all sorts of parameters with no success, I discovered today that my clown was the cause. If you got any advice for crazy coral eating fish, let me know.

Any maroon clown compatible soft corals?

What size sand do you have? I've heard a lot of stories saying that their clowns mess with the sandbed, but never any that actually make the tank cloud up. If it were my tank, I would try to remove the sand bed and find a larger grain size of sand, and I would make sure to wash that stuff for about an hour.

Any soft coral is compatible with maroon clowns, but the clown may try to host in it (also known as beating it to a bloody pulp).

You may benefit from a skimmer. It depends upon bioload. How much food do you add to the tank in a week's time, or between water changes? If you feed a lot, and the fish are producing a lot of waste, it would probably benefit you. Be aware that most "decent" skimmers (hang on back) aren't tiny, so keep that in mind when shopping. I don't know a lot about skimmers, but some people had differing opinions here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=53160

Try picking up some reef carbon. If you have a hang-on-back filter with the media removed, you can put the carbon in a bag and put it in there. Carbon is pretty good for quickly removing stuff from your water, but I woldn't leave it in there for more than, let's say, three days.

By the way, clowns don't host. They find hosts.

I just installed a Seaclone skimmer on my tank. I is working great. None of the issues described in this forum. The tank is doing much better with the skimmer. I highly recommend using a skimmer when ever possible.

I just bought a remora with a maxijet 1200 from some guy at reefcentral, and he's shipping it today. I'm looking forward to running with a real skimmer. Previously I had been running a coralife superskimmer, and although it pulled out some stuff, I wasn't convinced it was doing a whole lot of good.

I am using in my 20g a skilter and is working very well I have it for almost two years and only cost me $35 but is a little noisy, but the skimmers that all of this people talk about are much better but cost a lot more.

Archived