Cultivated Reef

ID 2 things please (pics inside)

Burchoid

:EDIT: 2nd pic ID'd ... Please ID first critter. Better pic is near bottom of thread.

Not sure what these are ... they don't move or do much of anything and look like little green craters.

whatsit4pe.th.jpg

Then there is this thing. Not sure if its a plant of some sort or what. Its bright neon green and is growing slowly. The tips seem "fuzzy"

green2ro.th.jpg

jenniebutterfly

1st one is hard, pic is too small, and fuzzy

2nd is macro algae, i cannot remember the name right off hand but it is a good one to keep

jenniebutterfly

yes i clicked on it, still too small and fuzzy, get a closer pic, and only cut it down to like 700 on it's longest side and repost. use a tripod if you have to to get a clearer shot. it is just hard to tell.

Originally posted by Burchoid

They neon green ones correct?  What are the critters in the first pic?

Yep and not sure. Hopefully someone else can help you with the first pic.

Nothing comes out of them that I have seen. They are green and appear to living. Nother is never anything "on" them for long either, whether it be algae or just sediment. I can see thin green thread-like filaments that make up each little crater. The filament starts at the base of the rim of each crater and curves up and around, forming the rim, to the inside of each crater. The white around the rims of the crater like things is a reflection from the light above. Since I got the liverock about 6 months ago they have become more bold in color and and thicker overall. Any ideas?? ???

:edit:

you can see the "filaments" I am talking about by looking at the green crater at the top of the pic. The rim of that crater is backlighted by the rock behind it.

shutterbuggy

That seems to me to be the skeleton of a goniopra coral a.k.a. flower pot coral. I had one also come in as a hitchhiker on my live rock, but unfortunately their success rate is extremely low and most die in about a year. Good luck with yours though

• 5 months later...

Archived