Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano Cube for a Octopus?

TooLShack

An Octopus at the LFS has caught my eye as the next project. I'm starting to do my research now and I am wondering, how well are the lids on the Nanocubs? Are they sealed pretty well to keep my sneaky friend inside? I was thinking of a 24 gallon Nano cube. Any help would be awesome, thanks!

Aquarium Fish Magazine ran a cover story on your eight-armed friend within the last 4 years or so. It was a pretty good article, can't remember what year, sorry. You're right worrying about the cover of your tank, they are sneaky from what I read.

holyherbiness

Tropical Fish hobbyrist ran a long article on the keeping of octopuses a while back.

They recommended a 40 gallon tank with very tight lid.

I forgot the rest.

Being such intelligent creatures, it seems unfair to consider keeping them in a nanocube. I'd say go with the 40 breeder or bigger.

i think you could go with a nano cube. You don't need a tight lid, even if you did it would still get out. You can place some astro terf strips around the top perimeter and the octopus will not touch it. This is what I have heard

they need a way to stay in becuse if the get bored or hungry, an inevitible they will get out and die. Coral mag is all aobu them. And you can use the astroturf on like a pool type tank but not a smaller one really. Go for like a 40 breeder drilled with the top totaly sealed with a lock and the intake for the sump closed and make shure to keep the water oxygen rich, look into that issue of Coral it has alot of info in it

matt the fiddler

you need to bolt the top down.. they are pretty strong.. and smart..

my gues is they coudl bend the lid of the cube even if you did secure it..

rememebr they only need about a centimeter gap to get out.

After thinking about it, and with your guys advice. I think I'm going to ditch the idea of using a Nano cube, these creatures deserve a larger play ground. Thanks for the help and the kick to the head.

If you're going to look into getting a octo, I'd strongly advise checking out Tonmo. They are the site for information on all cephalopods. The general consenus is that you are correct in wanting a larger aquarium. I'd also be carefull about buying an octo at an LFS unless you can be very sure about the age and species of it. They are fairly short lived creatures, and you might be looking at an older creature that could die soon, or a very young specemin that might grow much too large. I'd sugest looking at octopets. They sell aquacultured bimacs, which are a good choice for home aquaria.

Good luck!

SoCal Reefer

use lots of rubble rock for them to play with. my lfs worker friend has one and he has colorful cat toys in there for him to play with and lots of rubble rock and a bolted down lid.

Archived