Cultivated Reef

another accidental anemone?

davinaster

Last night I picked up some frags from a local reefer and then bought a couple of corals at the LFS. When I was done putting everything in my tank, I found a tiny "mushroom" (smaller than a dime) literally at the bottom of the bucket. Having no idea what is was or where it came from, I figured "What the heck?" and put it in the tank. I found a low light, low current spot, and it stayed put until today.

It's got a light to purple/brown background (changes) and looks like it was scribbled on with fluorescent green highlighter. A picture is impossible - I simply can't get a decent shot of something so small, even if my camera were working :(

Today I decided to mount it somewhere it would be visible., just a couple of inches away from where it spent the night. Used tried the "skewer it with a hypodermic" method. It's reaction was violent. The green squiggles started to move - they look frilly up close, sort of like a nudibranch skirt. It's movement was so vigorous that I considered the possibility that I'd skewered an anemone, so I put it back where it was last night - and it immediately jumped off the rock!

Oh - and when it got ####ed off, it turned red! WTF is this thing?! I looked at a few vendor sites; nothing.

Any thoughts?

jenniebutterfly

haha you gt some evil stuff davina. you should make videos of when you find weird stuff lol, i bet they would be funny :) jen

mutant aquatic potato chip?...it was purple, and then it turned rd....hmmmm...sounds like an undiscoverd mushroom/anemone hybrid...:|

It's still hanging out where it ended this morning. Yes, it definitely changed from light purple to dark red when it got ####ed off, which made me question my phylum categorization. It is circular and has a small dot right in the middle which I am assuming is the mouth and I am also is assuming is the top, as that is the direction it has oriented itself.

But I said that the green squiggles reminded me of a nudi's skirt, and the color change was sort of mollusc-like, too. Any chance I've got some kind of mollusc? (I know, I know, pictures...) I'll keep looking.

One of the corals I bought that night was a green and purple bullseye shroom. I think this may be a baby that somehow hitched a ride. Hopefully I'll get a chance to find out, as it seems to have attached to the side of my tank.

Squid, cuttlefish, and the like tend to change color when irritated. They are also highly toxic. I've never heard of a shroom changing color like that.

I'm almost sure now that it's a little bullseye shroom. I'm only about 90% sure that it changed color when it got stressed ;)

Right now it's attached to the glass. I'll let it hang out to grow and recuperate for a while, but it can't stay there. It'll be interesting to see if it changes colors again when it is disturbed.

Archived