Top Shelf Aquatics

Newbie needs help figuring setup out.

herbiehusker74

herbiehusker74

Ok I'm new to the nano reef scene, but I always make sure EVERYTHING I am planning out will work great when the lives of animals are in my control. So I want to set up a 5 gallon nano reef(10 if ya'll think it better for a newbie). I live in the desert southwest and we often have problems maintaing a room at the temperture range that is suitable for a reef (it gets to be 120 outside, so 88 or so is possible inside). So I need to figure out a way to cool the little booger down. I would like to try the Cool Works IceProbe, and need to know how to make sure I don't overcool the inhabitants. Can I just use a slighty larger than normal heater? I am trying to avoid spending the 160 bucks for a Medusa chiller controller, but I guess if I had to I would. I was thinking that if a set up the Powerhead next to the heater and the IceProbe next to another powerhead on the back side of the tank I could even out the temperature fluctations.

I expect to require Lots of information, because it is important to me that I do not kill the inhabitants of the tank, so I want to give them the most perfect enviroment within reason.

For a 5 gallon tank I am willing to spend up to 700 dollars on equipment, and say 800 for a 10 gallon if ya'll say it would be better. Give me your ideas for setups where money is not a large concern...I would even spend more if I needed to.

I think you should start another thread in the Classifieds section.

Want to Buy: Custom setup 10 gal.

Have one of the guys here (some are in the business) put together the system for you, given your parameters and climate needs. I'm sure someone will give you a break on stuff, so you may not have to shell out a lion's share of your $800 on equipment.

Just a thought.

Welcome aboard Herbie. I've heard good things about the IceProbe. Talk to Crakeur. I believe he's been using one.

I would personally suggest a 10g tank over a 5g- you'll run out of room pretty fast in a 5, and if you're already concerned about temperature fluctuations, the larger water volume will help a bit.

Good to see you're willing to pony up the cash to do this right, although you should come in under budget. Check out www.ahsupply.com for lighting. A 2x36w PC kit would be good for a 10g. Try www.hellolights.com for the bulbs. I'd recommend a 10K bulb and an 03 actinic, nice crisp color with that mix. Other than that, you'll just need about 15lbs of liverock, and inch or two of livesand, and some powerheads. A couple hundred bucks (before stocking, of course) should be all you have to spend to do a nice 10g. Have fun.

herbiehusker74

I have to do it myself...there is just something about it. I've been in the aquarium hobby for 23 years, and I'm only 27. I'd rather but it together myself as that's half of the fun.

herbie,

I would do the ten gallon as well (for reasons already mentioned) but just wanted to let you know... do a search for the IceProbe. I will as well tommorrow and post back when I find it but I have seen it listed on several sites as a package... chiller probe AND controller and was like 160 bucks. I am putting a 150 watt MH over a 7 gallon minibow.... me thinks I will need one of these setups,hehe.

herbiehusker74

Hey that seems like a great price, but I can't seem to find it when I do a google search...I'm all set for a 10 gallon...glass is better than acrylic for a reef tank right? I mean I've never had a problem with acrylic in a freshwater setup but I would think it would be much more likely to scratch than a glass tank when used for a reef. so just drill a 1 and a quarter inch hole near a corner to put the ice probe in right?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=Minichill

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=Minichill

Here ya go herbie... the first link shows the chiller mounted in an HOB filter... looks to me like an AquaClear, maybe a 150? Personally I would recommend this type of arrangement for mounting the chiller as opposed to cutting it directly into the tank.

The second link shows just the chiller but if you notice there is an option box to check that adds the controller for another 50 bucks.

Hope this helps....

glass is better than acrylic for a reef tank right?

Not necessarily....granted, you do have to be careful, since your live rock will easily scratch acrylic.

I've got a cheap $8 10-gallon glass tank, and I'm realizing how much weight I've got in it, with the water, sand & rock. I'm now wishing I had an acrylic tank, and I'm pricing a 150-gallon one now.

Just about every reefer with 5+ year exp. has a horror story about a glass tank exploding, or at least leaking. I don't want to go through that, so my next tank will be acrylic. They don't break.

*heh* - good question. I'm researching right now. I have no freakin' idea. From what I've read so far, there are different ways acrylic pieces can be joined together - with acrylic cement seems to be the most common, but it looks like some companies can use melted acrylic between the pieces, heat all of it, which makes supposedly a tighter bond (at a much higher price, of course).

It'll be a good year before I can afford the acrylic tank I want, so I've got a while to research.

If you're looking for a nano-acrylic tank, though, you might do a search on this board. Many people are using acrylic for tanks under 20 gallons.

herbiehusker74

I've done some research in the past about joining methods...From what I found the best method to join the panels is a solvent that will "meld" 2 panels into 1 without an obvious joint. On the otherhand they will often bend the panels with heat for the front corners. At least that's what I read. What i meant was is there more scratch resistant stuff out there, or simply basically all the same.

Since Satchmo mentioned me having the microchiller, I will tell you this much. Don't skimp out and by the probe and try and install it in the filter. Too risky and the plastic cracks real easy, or so I have been told. I ordered mine from premium aquatics and the casing on the aquaclear filter was cracked so I went out, bought one from petland and premiumaquatics refunded the cost of the new filter. I then promptly returned the cracked filter to petland and got my money back. Cory, if you read these boards, I'm only kidding.

The microchiller pulls down at least 10 degrees on my 7 gallon so a heater is a must to maintain a steady temp. Now that the weather has become a bit colder I took the chiller off. Wouldn't ya know it, the temp came back up and no my tank is running too warm. I hate weather.

herbiehusker74

I sure will let everyone know if I find one or more brands with increased scratch resistance. By the way I wanted to thank everyone that has been helping me with the nano reef tank planning.

I have a 60 gallon acrylic for freshwater and haven't had any problems. It bows slightly, but that's to be expected. I've also seen stuff you can purchase to fix scratches should you create any, but the tank has to be dry.

Just this weekend I ordered a Marineland (http://www.marineland.com) Eclipse acrylic 25 gallon. I did a lot of research and the Marineland tanks seemed to popup again and again (and it helps that I live 5 minutes from their headquarters!). They have a bunch of different sizes and configurations (3,5, 6, 9, 12, 25, 29 - rectangle, bowed, and hex), among plenty of other stuff.

Archived