Top Shelf Aquatics

Bleached GSP and will Ricordea sting Zoo's?

neanderthalman

neanderthalman

Hey all, I'm fairly new to reefing, and I just added my first corals to my 1.6g nano. I found what appeared to be a fairly small rock with GSP, a Green Ricordea, and about fifteen zoos on it at my LFS. As it turned out, the GSP was only attached to the rock by a very small corner, and it detached from the rock. I didn't figured this would matter much, and it would let me put the green stars wherever I liked.

When I got them home, the GSP's were closed, naturally, and the next day when the opened, half of them were small and white. I know that they're not dead, because they retract at night, but I'm wondering what might cause them to bleach so suddenly.

I figure maybe the purple crust was folded over, and the side against the bottom of the tank in the store wasn't getting any light...and perhaps was dying. I am starting to see some brown in the fingers of the polyps, but they're still quite small. Is my GSP recovering?

Also, the rock ned a Ricordea about 1" in diameter, leaving plenty of space between it and the Zoo's. I guess the Ric didn't like the lights in the store, 'cause after two days it has doubled in size and is now touching the zoos. Will Ricordea sting zoo's, and if they can, should I attempt to break the LR in two?

Looks more like a frilly mushroom than a ricordea. As for the GSP, I don't think you have much to worry about. It should regain color eventually.

Archived