Pod Your Reef

Nassarious Snails, just wondering?

reefguru21

Nassarious snails,

Do these snail really do a good job of eating pest algaes or are they a waste of my time. The reason I ask is because I am able to perchase these for about $0.40 each should I even consider buy some of these snails.

They're not really good at eating lagae, but they're fantastic detritivores- which, in the end, will lower your algae population be reducing available nutrients.

They also do a good job of keeping the sand bed clean and- oh yeah- they're fun to watch.

Too bad my mantis is killing all of mine. Started with 20, about 3 or 4 left now.

Travis

Man I love those guys:D I have 4 in my 12g right now, and man they are soo cool to watch! They go after all the leftovers and even when my peppermint shrimp molts from time to time it eats that! I would get them and put them in my next tank and would recommen them to all others.

printerdown01

Don't eat algae at all, these guys are like hyperactive bumblebee snails. Also careful, I guess some places (2 on-line) are selling whelks as nass (def a problem). However, I have 3 nass snails in my tank right now. They are WAY more effective at searching out and finding left over food than my hermits every were! They will also burry in the sand and stay out of sight. When food is introduced to the tank, it looks like attack of the killer snails, as they buzz all over the tank looking for stuff to eat! But if you are looking for an algae eating snail, this isn't one...

True Nass are very hardy snails. They feed on left over food and other dead meaty inhabitants. They are good sand stirrers too but BE WARNED they will attack sick or dying snails.

You don't need too many in your tank either because they are big eaters.

PM the user "jcopp" at reefcentral. He sells them all the time, that’s where I got mine. You can get them for about a buck apiece, shipping included, and his service is excellent. You can also check out his seller feedback at RC, he’s very highly regarded.

Travis

I looked on the RC message boards and keep coming up empty with searches using that name. The LFS by me has no snail selection. Is there anywhere you recommend online?

printerdown01

Premium Aquatics sells them as well... but for $2. They usually go for about $1 around here for small spp. and $2 for large spp. of Nass. Nass @ Premium Aquatics . I believe that they are a reliable source of nassarious (SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF YOU EVEN THINK or HAVE HEARD OTHERWISE!!!). I however, disagree with the recommended number of snails on this site. I have 3 snails for my 12 gallon. I would do 1 per 3 gallons even without hermits, if you don't feed heavily. I would do 1 per 2 gallons if you really want them to stir your sand.

Wow that cool I've been looking for a good sand shifter and didn't really want to get a serpent star so these little guys sound like just what I'm looking for thanks for the great advice all you reef-aholics.B)

• 4 weeks later...

Nass are fun to watch when they go ater food. they do all of the funny little back flips and stuff. But if you are really interested in a algae eating snail astrea are great. I always have a build up in the intake to my mechanical filter. I pluck one off the rocks and will hold hime htere for a few sec till he sticks. when I come back in the mornign the astrea has made the intake look new.

Archived