SaltCritters.com

Is my yuma constipated?

davinaster

For the past few days, my pink ric has been excreting shiny white pellets. It gets all scrunched up, its mouth opens and after a while a shiny white surface appears. It takes several hours, but whatever it is apparently passes (I've never seen it happen, and I haven't found one of its "products" in the tank). Afterwards, it expands fully and looks good as new - even better! What it most resembles is a chicken laying an egg. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks, that's very helpful :rolleyes:

I can add them to my collection - I have an electric green hairy shroom that thinks it's an oyster. It's folded backwards over some junk, and it won't let go - I can only assume it's hoping to make a pearl :)

*bump*

Seriously, I'm pretty worried. It's doing this several times a day. It does look fine afterwards, but now I'm thinking it might be guts it's excreting.

It's in a 15g Via Aqua with 48w 50/50 PC lighting, about 1/4 of the way down. For flow I've got an AC 150 and a [brand unremembered] 550 PH. The yuma does not act uncomfortable where it is, ie no squirming or straining to move.

SG 1.026

temp ~76.5-~77.5

ammonia undetectable

nitrite undetectable

nitrate was between 5-10 (I know :o ), after 2 water changes < 5

pH 8.0

KH 9

calcium >500

iodine 0.06

Dunno about pellets, but I have seen shrooms expell their "guts" that basically look like white string. Usually if stressed, or depending on what they've eaten.

I've become convinced it's expelling some of its guts several times each day. I don't know for sure what could be stressing it. The water quality appears to be OK, based on what I can test and the health of the other inhabitants. So I'm making a WAG that it doesn't like the light, and I moved it down in the tank. Now it's just wait and see...

Unless I hear any other suggestions?

Archived