SaltCritters.com

SPS Growth, Thin vs Thick Branches..

GobyMan

I know that SPS grow differently in each tank, but I was curious about what affects whether the branches are thick or thin. My first thought was that water flow around the coral would seem to have the greatest effect, ie more flow, thin branches, but could this be a lighting issue also?

Thanks for comments/opinions etc.

I've kinda found a relationship between thin branches and unstable or inconsistant calcium and alkalinity values. Light may have something to do with it but not anything like that.

Are we talking about a particular SPS or just SPS in general?

Cameron

Well, for example I have a beige montipora frag that has been growing and branching. The branches don't seem to get thicker, just continue to grow "out". It is in the highest flow area of my little tank and was wondering if that was a factor. My Calc/Alk does swing a bit..I add about 7.5 ml of B-ionic every day (all at once not dripped during the day) and with all the SPS and coraline they suck the Calc up pretty fast...

I'll post some pics when I get home to give you a better idea..maybe my idea of "thin" branches is what others would consider normal....

Archived