Top Shelf Aquatics

Finger leather questions

renichms

Okay, I have a question about finger leather coral and a statement. Everything I've seen says to keep it in high flow but to not point a powerhead at it. In my tank, if nothing is pointed at it, its mucous excretions cover it completely and its polyps stop extending. Right now, it's in front of one powerhead and has an erratic sweeping powerhead hitting it sometimes and its polyps are ALL out, even with my goby roaming around in it and shrimp walking across it. So it needs VERY high flow, not moderate to high.

My question involves what to do when the finger leather starts to get too big or you want to have several pieces from the original. How would one frag this type? Mine's not too big yet but it's growing fast.

RN

Okay, this piece is seriously growing fast. It has almost doubled in size in the last week. It is getting close to a sweeping powerhead and I don't know where else I could move it without putting it on open sand. Would it be a good idea to leave it on open sand, with room to grow, when the metal halide lighting is here?

RN

Archived