Top Shelf Aquatics

New coral behavior....

fliberdygibits

fliberdygibits

this may be a dumb question, but better safe than sorry. Is it normal the first few days for corals just introduced to a tank to stay closed more than they are open and to produce slime?

I have a 3 gallon that has been cycling for months now and over the last two days I have added a dozen or so small mushrooms, anthelia (sp?) and a few small dusters. They will all come out and look happy for a short period and then they close up again.... then they come out and look happy, etc....etc...etc..... I have one small dime sized ricordia that is staying open, color is good, but he's makin slime.

For a few days is this just normal aclimation behavior?

Thanks

P.S. - PH 8.2 / Salinity 1.022 / Temp 79 / Nitrite 0 / Nitrate 5

yes it is common. Perhaps your water parameters are slightly different and the corals can take time to adjust. Generaly a "slimer" effect is a sign of unhappyness. It should subside in a day or two.

fliberdygibits

my acclimation method is a bit crude since this is a 3 gallon tank in my office it's hard for me to break out hosing and buckts and stuff. I have little 1/4 cup measuring "spoon" thing that I use to move a scoop full of tank water to the bag about every 10 minutes till I've done about 8-10 scoops...... all the while I float the bag in the tank so the temp evens out.

Archived