inTank Media Baskets

Tonga Rock Hitch Hiker - What is it?

GadgetGuy

Hi everyone,

I just set up my first nano tank yesterday and already have a question (imagine that). I've searched the forums and the 'net trying to find out what this critter is that is wedged into a crevice of the Tonga Rock. I tried to take a picture of it, but it's really buried itself in there and I can't get a good enough shot. I'll try to describe it for now and post a pic later if I can catch it out of its hole. It's about 1.5-2" long, appears to have a segmented body and what looks like a white lobster-like tail. It retreats when I shine the light on it and backs itself into a far inner corner of the rock and curls up in a ball (often doing many somersalts to avoid the light). I can't get a good look at the head, but there appear to be feelers coming out of it. It doesn't really look like the pictures of bristleworm I've seen, but I haven't ruled that out. Any help/guidance is much appreciated!

BTW, tank setup is as follows:

6 gallon Eclipse

11lbs Tonga Live Rock

6lbs Live Sand

Rio 50 Powerhead

Hagen Thermometer

32 Watt Light Retro Kit

printerdown01

Just one of many possibilities... a mantis shrimp... This is a crustation and would explain the segmented body description. It would also explain why it is difficult for you to locate the actual head (as it almost doesn't have one). It will def hide in crevices and avoid light, especially in a new environment. The whitish color would be rare however...

It could also be a number of shrimp or small lobster spp. I'm just giving you a worst case senerio... It might actually be a very interesting addition to your tank!

From what I can tell, it looks like that pic but darker. I did another search on the 'net for additional pictures of Mantis Shrimp and found some that match the coloring (the one I have is much darker).

So, now that I know what it is I need to figure out what to do with it. I'm planning on eventually having a reef tank w/some cleaner snails, a banded shrimp(?) and one (maybe two?) perculas. From what I can tell, this is a definitely an undesireable addition to my setup. It's on a smaller piece of rock, so I guess I could just chuck that piece out and be done with it.

Thanks to everyone for such quick and helpful replies :)

printerdown01

:woot: eek it's a mantis! I think that's a scary enough holloween surprise for any reefer :woot: ... Take'm to the lfs and see if they want 'em. Some people actually like keeping mantis shrimps in their tank...

what are ya gonna do with it ? if you dont want it i mite take it i have a tank i could put him in just tell me you can im me or email me or pm me my aim/aol screen names are cjm033 and monkeydude6933 and my email address is cjm033@aol.com

thanks,Chris

Sorry cjm, I took 'em to my lfs on my way to the office this morning. The owner knew a customer who was evidently wanting one so it all worked out for the best. Manty got a home & I got some store credit :)

I am setting up a eclipse sys 6 ,just getting started. Any info you could send my way would be alot of help ! I just put a custom sealife sealight 1-9 watt act 1-27 6700k day

Keep me posted

thanks johnfaas

Ross - I was able to grab the lil' critter with a flashlight (to stun him) and some long tweezers. I was expecting much worse, but glad it went as smoothly as it did. I wanted to catch him while I still knew where he was and before I bought any livestock.

John - check out the FAQ section of this site. Lots of helpful info on starting your tank. Not to mention the helpful folks on the forums. I just started mine a couple o' days ago, so at least we're in it together :)

these buggers hide even deep inside rocks. someone suggested a freshwater dip for new and about to be cured live rock. would kill the other hitchikers but would be safe. I do not do dips myself.

Archived