SaltCritters.com

Metal Halide on a 24G tank

Sahin

I am thinking of perhaps upgrading my lighting to 150W Metal Halides for my 24G tank.

Those who use Metal Halides on their nano tanks do you use a chiller as well?  

Or just having the lights several inches above water help keep tank cool?

I really am thinking about getting a Metal Halide system but I am worried about possible over heating of water, which would just push up the cost of the reef tank ie needing a chiller...they aint cheap here in the UK.

Let me know what you think.  Thanks.

(Edited by Sahin at 3:25 pm on June 7, 2002)

I have used 2 150W MH lights over a 55gal before. I work extrememly well. I did have to use two small fans in the summer. I the pendants hung about 8-10 inches off the water, maybe 12. The corals absolutely went nuts. With a 24gal I think you would be okay if you hung the lights 12" off the water and used one fan blowing across the surface. A 24 should not be that deep so the 12" wont be too high. I am thinking about adding a 70W MH to my 3.5 gallon! Let me know how it goes! Post pics if you do it!

i just got 2 175W mh ballasts and thinking of putting them inside a pendant over my 29 gal tank. ill probably keep them almost 1 foot above the water to keep the heat off it.or maybe even less since its not trap inside a canopy the heat would not effect the tank much.

I have 400W on my 35 I sometimes use a fan across the top of the water for cooling. Usually when its over 85F here.

HTH,

Toy

Ps. my tank runs from 82-84 degrees F

oh yeah my pendant hangs 4" above the water and the light is about 2" into the pendant for a total of 6" airspace.

sorry about the double post I thought you might want that info as well.

Toy

Thanks for the info guys.  

I will see how things go, I might be heading for Metal Halides and clams very soon...if I can get a job quickly.

:)

Archived