Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

an easter miracle! ... black molly questions

shanebeall

So, I've had my black molly in my tank for the past 5 months by herself. Today I get home...babies! Is there normally sperm retention in mollies?

I must say, I was very surprise to see baby mollies swimming around, as she didn't swell up and look pregnant or anything.

Anyone in the DC/MD/VA area want saltwater born black mollies? Free for pickup.

yes mollys and all livebearers can hold sperm for something like 3-5 months. they will only conceve if conditions are favorable. Ive breed mollies, guppies, platys and swordtail before and sold them privately and to LFS :). its not that hard but they are really really popular. hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

It's closer to easter than it is to Christmas.

Mollies are very easy to breed. I just wasn't aware that they would retain sperm for such a long period of time. Science!

Etoh, eat these babies. Or take them. Where is Abingdon?

• 2 weeks later...
Pinrod Urkish

Cruel fate. Just raise them up and trade them at the lfs for some live rock or a few bucks off a coral. Thats what I used to do with my guppies. It did help that my guppies were monsters like 6" long.

(with guppies)the males gonopodium actually detaches from his body and sperm is preseved in the female's oviduct for a month or more and the female is able to have six or more broods (i believe it's the same or at least very similar with mollies, platys, swordtails, etc.)

Archived