Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

2g Pico Reef

moolsfish

newbiecarlz

hey mools its looking great!

Where did you get the lil compacts (especially the actinic!)did you have to pull apart the clip on? My LFS's all swear that you CANNOT get the little PC bulbs in actinic.. but then again most of them dont even know what a PC is ..

ive been trying to decide how to get some more PCs under the hood of my nano, at the moment i think im going to have to rip apart the 9watt unit ive been using for my pico.

Newbiecarlz, the compacts are osram compact fluorescents that any decent lighting store should be able to see you. be sure that they are selling you the 6500K ones though and if you can find 10000k ones let ME know!!!! i'm not sure if the blue is a true 'Actinic' but the globe is of blue spectrum and not just blue glass creating the effect as you can see from the picture above.

newbiecarlz

thanks for the info mools thats really helpful :) i'll be checking out the LLS (local lighting shops!)

I've got an 8000k 11watt - its marketed as 'red' but it is most definately WHITE. my LFS had it as the replacement globe for the AR380 tanks (i think they are an aqua one product). i think i have a 10000k 9watt on my pico.. but ill double check on the globe itself because its not on the packaging.

how do you wire these up? is there a 'kit' you can buy or is it DIY? i know nothing about electronics and can see in your hood that you have the wires leading from the bulbs to the outside of the hood, where do they go from there?

sorry for all the questions!

I Bought a JEBO 9W desk lamp style fitting from the LFS which is supposed to clip on to the aquarium, i ripped the wiring out of that and connected it to my new globes. of course i had to buy two, one for each new globe. The ballast for each light is transformer like in appearance and plugs directly into the power outlet, like a phone charger...

...and if your 9W globe is infact 10000K, i would really appreciate it if you could tell me where i could get my hands on one or two of them!

Cheers!

finally, finally, finally i am able to put something in....

after many weeks of staring aimlessly at my empty box of water (when i should be working), i have purchased my very first inverts. well.. more like i relocated from my larger tank, a snail (turbo i think) and a little hermit who's doing his best to mow down all the algae that has sprouted. i'm not sure if the two will be able to clear it all up, but time will tell......

My very first coral frag has just arrived, a tiny torch coral..... this photo was taken only a few hours after the coral was acclimated. Any idea how long it will take until it fully expands it's tentacles? as I havent had alot of experience with torch's.

the photos look alot 'bluer' than the tank appears to the naked eye but thats because i dont know how to adjust the white-balance on my digital camera...

petergordet

your tank looks good so far. you need to get some snails to take care of your alge. that torch looks kinda like a hammer. we'll see when it comes out all the way.

• 1 month later...

Nice. I'm Adelaide to. I like seaview but have never been to H2o. Is that just normal gravel in your tank? By the way where do u Aussies by your sand?

Fatamaran, H20 has sone good stuff but the are by FAR the furthest from me (Adelaide Hills). I got the substrate from Adelaide aquariums, i'm not what it's called, but it's HORRIBLE, i'd never use it again. Seaview Aquariums have some good crushed marble that i've used before and that is good stuff.

On other matters, this tank is not doing it's best.....

It is getting WAY too much natural light on my desk here at work and that has caused the hair algae to grow VERy rapidly. So much, infact, that it smothered the tiny torch corals to death in one weekend!! I have tried to shade it the best i can and currently have one Black cap damesel in there, however,i have been truly inspired by various projects here on N-R.com and i'm investigating the possibilities of tearing down my current 5gal reef, plus this one and building one large system at home. Thinking of a 20gal at this stage with sump+refugium and MH lighting.

So, i'll keep you all updated....

newbiecarlz

do you think your algae growth has anything to do with the 6500k PC? i copied your idea with lamps (thanks!) and added a couple of those little 9watt PCs to my nano, and have been suffering an algae outbreak ever since.. ive been trying to think of the cause and initially thought overfeeding might be the culprit (new sun coral :) ) but now ive cut back feeding and still have algae growth, but only in the unshaded areas of the tank.. so thats led me to think its the crappy light. im still searching for some true actinic bulbs, still without any luck though (doh!)

if you decide to persevere with the pico maybe try replacing the fish with something with lower bioload - ive got a baby CBS in my pico, only feed him once a week (pellet food) and its been going great for 6mths now

• 1 month later...

Moolsfish: YOUR PICO RULES!

Just curious; how much would it cost for you to buy another tank (minus the bulbs, heater, thermometer), make another hood w/light wiring, fittings, etc., and ship them together to the US? ;) The glass cube is cool, and you really did GREAT work on that hood; how did you do that!?!?

I would LOVE to get my hands on a copy of your work (and I'm sure my g/f would too!) She just setup one of those Candy XL rounded-cubes at her house (she'll take it to work with her soon). At "That Fish Place" in Lancaster, PA they sell them for only $27 with a 9watt PC, Nano Filter, and the tank itself. Pretty good deal, if you ask me!

Keep up the fantastic work, mate!

-Jonathan

Jpl3k@optonline.net

Archived