Top Shelf Aquatics

A few things.

ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity

Okay, been a while since I have posted, but I have a few questions about some of the things I am seeing in my tank...

I have a ton of little clear/white thread looking creatures that eat all the food that hits my sand... and they seem to make tunnels in the sand as well, and at times, tubs of sand spring up over night, almost looking like a feather duster tube?

Also, I have a red featherduster, whats that all about? -lol-

Found a lot of star fish as well, 2 different kinds, have about 10 tiny star fish that have a round body, with what looks like spiny tentacles, they live in the rocks. and the others are more traditional looking star fish, but very tiny, and white. What kinds are they?

And its been about 4 months since I had any snails in my tank, they were murdered by my hermit crabs. Since then, some of the hermits have disapeared, and now I find 2 small baby snails? Where did they come from? did my old snails lay eggs or somethings? do they take that long to show up usually??

Thats all for now... thank you for any answers you can give!!

jenniebutterfly

1. spaghetti worm, they are harmless and they are detrivores, so leave them

2. they come in many colors, i have tons of red in hard white tubes, some mini hawaiin in parchment type tubes, some with no tubes that are clear, some striped, they are all different varieties, and they are fine for your tank, you will see more of them

3. sounds like mini brittle, they won't hurt anything, just keep an eye on them incase they are something different, do a search and amke sure these are what you have

4. they were probably hiding, or may have hicthhiked on some coral or something, it happens, just post a pic, or search and make sure they are ok snails to have :)

hope i was of some help :) jen

I have some red featherdusters too...I really like them, but my favorites are the white ones with pink spots on the feathers....

Did your hermits kill the snails for their shells? I have a lot of baby snails...some probably hatched since I got the tank, but lots have been there since the beginning and are just really small yet. I have some stars, too; I believe the chubby white ones are commonly called microstars, and the others are either brittle stars or serpent stars. They are both good detritus eaters.

I don't know about the white guys in the sand, except they're probably worms ;) I'm curious about the tubes, too; I have a collection that changes all the time; I think of them as "cigars"...

Archived