Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Green open brain ?

deacon hemp

My brain is showing a bit of skeleton,but looks better than a few days ago and i was wondering if they can come back to full health

from looking dead.

Have you tried feeding it? Mine responds extremely well to fine food (Microvert, minced red plankton) after dark, when its tentacles and mucous net come out, or solid food dumped on top of it (kill the powerheads for this).

It's had a nick for a couple of months now with the skeleton showing through (and hair algae on the exposed bit) but seems to be doing extremely well (and squeezing the algae off, slowly).

good luck!

robvdv: my brain is totally coming back now,i didn't know they

would regrow new tissue over the dead looking skeleton as this

was my first coral having a problem.I do feed my brain about once a week too,is it bad to feed during the day?

found a trumpet brain coral in a piece of live rock. nursed it back (growing now). kinda cool.

some brains eat meat (shrimp, etc.) mine never did when I tried to feed it. seems this feeding happens when they lack nourishment. if it works why change?

the favites (and a few others) extend tentacles and capture floating food (brine shrimp). try brine shrimp too. they extend tentacles only in the dark.

good luck.

Pattrick Star

HI I HAVE A GREEN OPEN BRAIN CORAL IN WHICH THE DAY I GOT HIM 1 MONTH AGO HES BEEN GROWINIG AND GROWING. HIS TENACLES ARE ALWAYS OUT DAY AND NIGHT AND SEEMS TO BE THE BEST CORAL I HAVE IN THE TANK. I WILL ATACH A PICOF HIM FOR YOU AND YUO BE THE JUDGE.HES IN A 55 GALON MICRO REEF SETTING, COLORS DID NOT COME OUT AS GOOD AS HE IS. PASTEL GREEN ITH PINK EDGING. THANKS AND HOPE THIS HELPS. ;)

to patrick star try putting a very small piece of krill near one of the mouths 15 minutes before your light turns off,then you'll

see tenticles.

Pattrick Star
Originally posted by deacon hemp

to patrick star try putting a very small piece of krill near one of the mouths 15 minutes before your light turns off,then you'll

see tenticles.

HI DEACON HEMP THANKS FOR THE TIP I WILL GIVE IT A TRY, THANKS AGAN. Pat F.;)

that is an example of a brain that actually eats. my candy cane has a similar color and hue. can't be bleaching coz he changed to this color a long time ago (2 weeks after being placed and he's almost 6mos old). got bigger too. but doesn't eat. good luck on your coral.

• 2 weeks later...

Should place open brain corals on the substrate.

Best time of day to feed is right before the lights come on. That provides the most effecient scenario for the zooxanthellae. Photosynthesis speeds up calcification, and thats a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Good point on the lighiting. Mine bleached and shrunk quite dramatically until my local fish guru suggested taking out the 10k lights and replacing with 50/50's. The effect was rapid and dramatic and it's now back to full health.

I had a bit of a disaster with another tank where the lighting fell off the canopy into the water (I'll never trust my glue gun again) and the tank was down to one 50/50 for a week. The open brain didn't seem particularly affected by this and still opened to full size.

I now have it in moderate light embedded in the sandy substratum with very little current around it and it's doing extremely well.

Pattrick Star

MY OPEN BRAIN CORAL IS VERY FLOURESCENT GREEN IN COLOR NOW AND I AM FEEDING HIM KRILL WITH FILTERS OFF, HE LOVES IT IN EARLY MORNING. THANKS TO ALL OF YOUR HELP AND SUGGESTIONS, THEY HAVE NOT FALLEN ON DEAF EARS, THXS AGAIN TO MY FELLOW NANO REEF PEOPLE.;)

Pattrick Star

Nice one SOS i wish i had room to put mine on the substrate but will have to wait til i reorganize a bit. It still seems to do very well where it is. Well im sending a picture now of what it looks like. Thxs.Again guys.

Looks like a Blue Devil Damsel. They don't really need intense light and they'll eat anything.:D :D

I'm no sure its a little hard to see in that pic.

Its not star polyps is it?

star polyps. I provided mine medium water flow and not too strong lights. They're slightly sensitive to water quality. I got two colonies and doing fine on 6.5watt/gallons. Won't open up until water quality is good. Newly acclimated colonies takes at least a week to fully open.

Archived