Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hitchhiker id... ?

icenine

I'm starting up a reef, and over the weekend I got got my live rock. It's uncured Haitian rock that I purchased of a seller on e-bay (jean_pool was the seller's ID) . Anyway, it nice stuff...came with lots of things riding along. Of course a large percentage is stuff I'm not really gonna want in my tank...or is gonna die anyway.

But I'm curious about this stuff covering one of the rocks that is pictured below pictured below:

13010PIC00057.jpg

When I first opened the box o' rocks I thought it was some kind of Valonia. But I noticed that some of it had broken off during shipping, and I broke a little off myself. It's sorta sponge like with polyps?, tubes?, stalks? I'm not sure what they are except that they are 1/4 to 1/2 long and there are about 50 of them on the rock. There are some areas that look as though the stalks have spread and flattened out a bit. It's green/purple in color. The ones I broke off looked to be solid and white inside. I thought they might be Anemonia Majanos but they seem like individual stalks and not tenticals on one animal. I'm likely to remove it regardless of what it actually is. So before I scrub this rock off, out of curiosity I thought I would post a pic here and see if anyone can identify it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've checked out a bunch of identification resources on the web (http://melevsreef.com/id/ ,http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/ just to name a couple... great sites btw) and don't find anything that matches.

jenniebutterfly

do not remove it, they are zoos, it may take a while for them to open, that is if they survive your cycle, but i had some that did, so you never know, leave them there, they will not harm anything :)

Cool, thanks to both of you.

Shows ya how new to a reef I am... I'm thinking about what kinda zoos I'll put on that rock, not realizing there are some there already.

I'll leave them on unless they get to looking beyond hope.

It'll be interesting to see how hardy they are and if they can survive the cycle.

Archived