Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Instant Algae question

kimura

Any of you guys tried any instant algae ie..Nannochloropsis, T-ISO, Tetraselmis& Pavlova?

I was looking at the Instant Algae Calculator on RC, and I was intrested on using it for my tank. Currently I'm using DT mixed in with some brine and mysis for feeding. What do you guys think?

printerdown01

Never tried it... but if you are looking for a DT's alternative, there is a great "local" (So. Cal, Corona to be exact -by Riverside) product that Aquatic Warehouse sells. It's called BioPlankton, by LiquidLife. Let me start off by saying that the price of a bottle of this stuff is higher than DT's. However, a single drop is a "dose" for a 20-30 gallon reef tank! This stuff contains Tetraselmis (size: 8-16 microns), nanno-chloropsis (2-4 microns), and T-Isochrysis (5-6 microns). Advantage over DT's? It can be frozen! Cell walls (especially those of plants) burst if frozen. Liquid Life has created a gel substance that it reef safe AND will prevent the actual cells from freezing and the cell walls from bursting. I don't own this stuff but will be trying it out when I run out of DTs. There are a couple of San Diego Nano-reefers that use this stuff. When frozen this bottle lasts (I believe) 12 months or more... So when looking at the price it is important to remember that you are looking at phyto costs for over a year! There are over 85 billion algae cells per ml in this product. As for feeding I use a "mixed seafood" alternated daily with DT's, so we are essentially doing the same thing. So what exactly is Instant Algae? Have any more info on it? Like cell sizes or how concentrated this stuff is? What is the shelf life? -Thanks, Anthony

Are you taking about that little booklet that they have in front near the register at Aquatic? I think I saw that, was it in a blue bottle? If so how much was it? I might check it out.,

Oh i'm sorry, about the instant algae, well I don't know too much about it, only from what I read on RC. But a company called brine shrimp direct /http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/ Sells the stuff, but from what you said about that Bioplankton, it sounds as if it's an all-in-one product. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Archived