inTank Media Baskets

Shrimp Gobies...

cbianco

I understand that shrimp gobies and pistol shrimp make quite a pair. I am inclined to purchase a pair for my tank (see signature). However, I am wary about buying a pistol shrimp because of the clicking sounds that they make.

1. Can someone describe the sound that a pistol shrimp makes? (I know it makes clicking sounds but more so... and how loud)

2. Will a shrimp goby form a relationship with a peppermint, sexy, etc... instead of the pistol?

3. Are there any additional problems that I should know about before picking a goby/shrimp pair?

Thank you for any help you may provide me with!!!

Christopher

nofriendsbz3

i have a pistol shrimp and it never clicks, i have yet to hear it click. they are a cool pair to watch, i dont know if it will pair up with any other shrmp. The pistol shrimp makes caves and tunnels for the goby and the goby just chills and watches out for the shrimp.

Another concern of mine is finding a pistol shrimp locally. I have yet to see a pistol shrimp here in San Antonio, TX. I do NOT want to mail order a pistol (or anything for that matter) shipping is outrageous no matter where you order from.

nofriendsbz3-Nice cube you got. You have quite a bit of stuff in there! LOL Looks nice none the less.

nofriendsbz3

thank you for the compliment, i actually have more than what you see in there now. I havent up dated the pics in a while. This hobby is adicting, getting the right colors, right corals, etc. etc. etc.

Now i want to go bigger. If you can find a pistol shrimp locally, it is worth it to pick one up its cool to watch.

One thing though, they put sand all over the place. You will start to see hills in your tank from the sand that it moves out for the caves. You just have to blow off your corals once in a while.

I'm pretty sure they wont form a relationship with a peppermint or cleaner. The noise can be pretty loud maybe like a snap of your fingers at the loudest( i think). I think I am getting a pistol shrimp next week from a buddy. I heard the thing snap one time and like i said it was like snapping your fingers.

Archived