Cultivated Reef

Livestock Options

jollybluepunk

jollybluepunk

Hey...beginner sw tanker here and my Eclipse 6 (10 pounds mixed crushed coral/substrate, mini-jet 404 powerhead along with regular eclipse filter, and 7 pounds of live rock) is about a week from being ready for fish ::i'm so excited :):: Well I was just wondering if I could get away with having a pair of false perc clownfish in this tank if I do weekly gallon water changes.  If not, I guess I'll go with a single firefish or clown...I can't wait!!!!

thegr8tdane

Welcome to the Nano jollybluepunk! :beerchug:

It's a close call. Most peolpe here will tell you one clown, and that's sound advice. Firefish are super crazy exotic looking but the clown is really intertaining to watch.

With no live rock I'd say yes, since ypou are at the limit in water column space. With the live rock you only have about 4 gallons of water...I wouldn't do anything more than one small fish if that! I have two ocellaris in a Eclipse 6 (for about a year now), but they have no live rock with them....its a fish only tank.

Be careful, corals are very beautiful. I think many people may start out saying "fish only", but as you visit fish stores and websites your desire for keeping corals very well may be too much to resist. If you do go down that road then as these posts suggest you are going to have Live Rock and most corals come on rock or have hard rock-like frames. Your tank will fill up quick in this case and you may find that two clowns become very unhappy little fellows (or gals! :-)

Joxer the Mighty

I agree, that tank is too small for  two percs and rock. I have a Tomato Clown and Yellowtail Damsel in a 12 gal, and even that is too much. I'm battling cyano right now, looks like the clown is gonna have to go. :(

I have an eclipse 6 in my office and here is what I have in it-

*4 ricordia mushrooms

*2 metallic green mushrooms

* chili coral

*clove polyps

*green star polyps

*encrusting star polyps

*umbrella leather coral

*2 small colt coral frags

*3 small sarcophant frags

*another cool coral I forgot the name

*hawaiian red fern algae

*bubble algae

*tons of coraline algae

*1 golden damsel

*2 large turbo snails

*2 blue leg hermits

*1 red leg hermit

*couple of smaller snails

AND YES.....

*the one and only nano lobster is till with me!  1 Purple lobster :)

If I could do it again I would not do an Eclipse 6, but the tank has been up for a long time now and it is practically on autopilot - weekly water changes, some food here and there (underfeed!), and some supplements are all it takes!  Enjoy the hobby it is great!

Good Luck!

you might be able to get away with two false percs.  but i dont think it would add much to the tank and there is always the possibility it wouldnt work out.  my false perc generally hangs out in one spot anyway so i dont think space would be a problem.  bio load wise i think you would be fine if you did weekly water changes.  when i first set up my five gallon i had a baby blue hippo and the false perc in there. (i know not a good idea)  i didnt know how fast the tang was gonna grow. he grew pretty fast and was about 2 inches long when i took him out.  but i still didnt have any ammonia or trites or trates.  seems like clowns dont mind sharing the same space after they finish there fight for dominance. but its up to you.

I think you'de be pushing it too much with two fish in there.  Get one clown, and perhaps a few green and red mushrooms would do nicely.  You get to keep a fish and an easy hardy coral as well.

jollybluepunk

Thanks guys...k...it's decided...just one fish but I'm still deciding whether to get a clown or a firefish...hmmm...oh yea i live in hawaii so corals already is a no no...and i got the two pieces of live rock when it washed up on the beach.  I'm going to go to the lfs next wednesday...let's just hope I have enough will power to only buy one fish :)

jollybluepunk

Besides the fact that I have yet to see a store that sells live coral...I think it's illegal...you can't even buy liverock!!  Also, Hawaii has some strict importation laws and it is also illegal to take live coral from the ocean...I guess you can say that reefkeeping in all will be pretty difficult to pull off here because there are so many restrictions.  My rock wasn't even live when I got it...just broken reef that washed up on shore...however, i seeded them with coralline encrusted 2-inch rocks that i got from inter-tidal areas.

Archived