ReefCleaners.org

refugium and skimmer design!

planetg

Due to budget constraints, I've managed to purchase a used tank at a reasonable price. The design is attached. It has an internal overflow system but I would love to have a refugium (after reading all the benefits) and maybe a sump tank with a skimmer. The tank does come with a under cabinet with a height of approx 1 ft.

Currently

A: Overflow to mechanical filter (sponge, cotton)

B: Bio Balls

C: Crushed Corals

D: Return Pump to the Tank.

What would you do if given this tank and hope to raise beautiful corals and fishes?

Should I create a Tee at point D for more options?

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanx a million

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have been doing a bunch of research on refugiums lately (I'm going to turn my 10g into one in the future). If I was going to do this with your tank I would take out parts A, B, C and D, and replace it with a deep sand bed and in-tank skimmer. Or leave part D in and put a HOB skimmer that hangs down into the D area.

Just a few thoughts.

I am no expert but i think that crushed coral might collect up nitrates and unless your tank is going to have a ton of fish you might not need the bio. You might create a big bio load.

I have found that all you need a sump for in a reef is dosing, skimming and topping off.

Archived