inTank Media Baskets

Growth Rate of LPS

g0tfish

Does anybody know an approximate amount of time it takes for a LPS to lets say grow a new head? Candy coral perhaps? Also, if i were to frag a fungia plate, about how long will it take to get back to the original shape?

for the plate it will take a hell of a long time, from what iv read, i wanted to frag mine, they dont really frag well, if you cut them they usualy die from not havint the mouth. If you buy a dying plate u can scrape it against the ridges and they will sometims sprout tiny new plates

jenniebutterfly- really? but arnt candys like separate hard stalks? do they grow new stalks or jus split from the original ones..?

phergus_25- yea i jus read an article on the reef central magazine about it.. i dont think im gonna frag.. i cant put myself through cuttin it in half liek that.

jenniebutterfly

the head splits, it mine was just fragged, but in the last 2 months i had six total heads split. it would grow two mouths, then separate, then you would have to wait for new stalks that could take a while. it also started polyp expulsion, i got rid of that frag yesterday, but one head was starting to melt trying to form a daughter colony

my candy cane grows very slowy. that's probably b/c it is a PITA to feed especially with greedy little cleaner shrimp.

Archived