Innovative Marine Aquariums

blue zoas aren't blue

davinaster

I yesterday I received my very first online coral order - pink palys and blue zoas.

The pinks are unbelievable - I had no idea they would be so pink, way better than the picture, better than I had imagined.

The blues, however, haven't a trace of blue anywhere in them :( I contacted the vendor who told me that they may have bleached in shipping, and also that they need intense light to see/maintain their color. I've got a 15g Via Aqua running with the 18w 10000k daylight/18w actinic that came stock and an additional JBJ desk formosa 24w 10000K daylight/24w actinic. I'm not interested in upgrading to metal halides (yeah right) OK. I'm not interested in upgrading to metal halides now. I was under the impression that PC lighting at >5w/gal was sufficient for pretty much all soft corals.

I've got the blues way up at the top of my tank (an inch away from the surface) and the JBJ off its legs resting on the top of the tank (not a permanent solution, I know).

What do you guys think? Will they ever be blue in my tank? (No pics available. I can't find my camera battery charger :()

I have had some colorful zoa's actually loose their color under my MH, lowered them and the color eventually come back. I, personally, have never seen a zoa bleach out during shipping. What was it, three days at most? That isn't to say that it didn't happen, just that it has never happened to me. I hope the pics weren't photoshopped and he ripped you a new one. I would love to see the pinks also and glad they were better then what you thought. Post a pic, when you find your battery.

i've had blues bleach on me before(and other colors as well). since you don't have really high light these guys should be ok anywhere in your tank. what i've found that works best with my blue zoos is to keep them low and partially shaded(if possible). they should regain their color within a few months at most

OK, so I need to upgrade to MH and then put the blue zoas low in my tank in the shade? lol j/k

The vendor has good feedback on this forum, so I trust him that they were the color he says they were in his tank, or I wouldn't have bought such an iffy color from him in the first place.

I like Angel and yoshiod9's advice best (because they have me with blue zoas in my tank eventually ;)) I'll move them to a more neutral spot in the tank - they look a bit ridiculous perched way at the tippy top, and I just know that a conch or crab is going to knock them over. Then I will cross my fingers and wait...

BTW, I borrowed my 4 year old's camera (POS, it was free), but now I can't find the cable to connect it to my computer... :angry:

mm...perhaps 'bleach' was the wrong term to use. the zoos(blues are the primary candidates for browning out) get a brown tinge to them quite easily when subjected to high light(over production of zooxanthallae). under 20k mh zoos look fantastic but you can still run into bleaching or browning out problems.

FateX9 --

Until I decide whether I've got an issue with the vendor, I'm going to keep him anonymous.

yoshiod9 --

That makes perfect sense. I saw the same thing happen to my hot pink ric yuma. In the new tank with less light, it's back to its hot pink self. Does that mean that they need to be fed more?

Originally posted by davinaster

Until I decide whether I've got an issue with the vendor, I'm going to keep him anonymous.

That gets the utmost respect from me. To many people are to quick to jump and judge, I applaud you.

That is some nice pinks that you have scored.

jenniebutterfly

hehehe i know where you got them from. i have the same pink palys :) they keep changing colors on me though, kinda neat, sometimes they are hot pink, and sometimes they are a soft pink :) here they are last night

976510.JPG

are these the same ones as yours :)

jenniebutterfly

oh and davina, the blues i just got were baby blue in the other guys tank that i got them from. in mine they look like blue jeans color, weird, but i like it. and he warned me that the blues i just got will take over anything, i am sure i can send along a frag of them with your shroom, i got the whole 200+ zoo colony for a 2 polyp frag of my baby blue favia. :) jen

jennie --

Tonight I was going to look for a picture of your pinks and point people to them, because I knew you had the same ones :) The picture that you have as part of your avatar looks exactly like them!

If you (or anyone else, for that matter lol) feel compelled to send me free frags, then I guess i'll just have to take them *sigh* :D Seriously, though, I'd love it. But let me check on my lighting vs yours. Do you think they could just be gray in my tank?

As for having an issue with the vendor, that's tricky, isn't it? We all know that corals look different under different lighting, but these guys are bright green. And a few of the polyps from both colonies are dead now, which has never happened to me before - but unless you've got years of experience and a pristine tank, can't a vendor just say, "well, your poor reefkeeping did it"? (I've got 3 months of experience and an "East Coast Style" tank lol)

jenniebutterfly

well, if it is the same vendor, i had ordered some greens, they were not opening, and then they all died, and well, i guess it is my fault for never following up on it. oh well, did not want to have to pay shipping all over again on that. the other 2 frags i ordered are doing great, the pinks, and the mixed colors. my lighting is not anything great, under the guys lights that i got it from, they were baby blue lol. oh well, one day i will get the halides, but these new blues i got opened up right away, the things are crazy, i fragged them and took them to 2 different people, right after fragging, the opened up :) jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

No, they're still very green. But in all fairness, I haven't been able to keep my bleeping hands out of the tank long enough to give them a chance :( Last night saw another major reaquascaping that resulted in them being placed all the way on the bottom - and I must say that they look more blue there than anyplace else they've been. If they aren't blue in a couple of months, my plan is to start giving away frags to people with different lighting as an experiment to find out what it takes to make them blue!

This is what they look like today at the bottom of my tank

blues-3-22.jpg

Wow I'm sorry to hear about your zoas. They do look green to me and not blue. I would hit up the person who sold it to you and show pics. Its not right. You should get what you pay for plain and simple! On a side note I'll test them for you. :):D:) Those zoas still look nice though...

Makes you wonder how much actinic lighting was on them to make that green look blue. Unfortunately, a few people around here went in on a small "blue" rock of zoa's ($600+) and they were green too. I think some people just see an opportunity to make money and jump on it. I hope they color up more blue, at the lower spot, for ya.

**Not knowing who the vendor is, I am not aiming this at anyone in particular, just generalizing.**

Oddly enough, yesterday I took a picture of something right next to it, and darned if it didn't look awfully blue in the photo! Color/light is a weird, weird thing... BTW, if anything the look more green under just actinics.

Archived