Pod Your Reef

New corals.....

fliberdygibits

fliberdygibits

I just added my first coral covered LR to my nano. It's the size of a childs fist and has at least 12 various mushrooms that I can see... two of them are the size of pennies. It also have 4 feather dusters, a few small sprigs of xenia, some and some other little polyp-ee things that I am still working on identifying...... over all for the 20 dollars I paid, it was WELL worth it. Anyhow, my question is..... some of the corals end up on the bottom of the rock no matter how I turn it. Will they let go and move themselves if they feel they need more light/current, or do I need to get creative and think for them so that they don't die?

Thanks.

Also, if I SHOULD relocate some of the guys on the bottom, what are good methods of removing mushrooms and xenia from a rock?

that is some purchase. If the rock is covered on every side, it must have been suspended in the middle of a tank to get growth everywhere. Or, perhaps, some of the organisms living on the rock can be left under the rock when you place it. Doubt it tho.

fliberdygibits

I think that this piece of rock was the end of a "branch" ...... there is some open surface where the branch broke off (if that makes sense) however, it's not enough to prop it anywhere on the existing rockwork and sitting it on the sand still leaves at least a few of the corals with half of their "body" jabbed in the sand, and quite a way from the light too.

make sure the xenia's point up toward the light and place the rock on three other rocks on 'contact points' (e.g. piling up four cannon balls). the points of contact should be minimal so no animal is crushed.

the shrooms should be able to migrate, assuming they're not ricordia-type. if they are, i would point them up and snip off the xenia (if they're not on the same side, unlikely imo tho) so as to not chance stressing the ricordias.

Archived