inTank Media Baskets

KH Shift

MrConclusion

I have an observation of something which caught me by surprise. Has anyone else seen something like this?

This occurred in my firsts "nano" reef. Before this all tanks were 55 gallons or larger. This tank is only 2 months old.

10 gallon tank with converted Eclipse hood 2x28watt 10K/03.

25 lb argonite live sand

14 lb gulf aquaculture LR

Multiple zoo colonies

Green frogspawn

Pink carnation coral

Kh has been steady at 11 mg/l until...

Frogspawn was purchased as a 5-head cluster, but it was so happy in this tank it has split to 8 heads!:D I did my weekly test and KH had dropped to 5.5 mg/lX)

I started dosing Kent Superbuffer DKH along with daily liquid calcium, after 2 days KH is creeping back up, it's now 8 mg/l

Has anyone had stonies suddenly start using resources this way? I guess it's kalkwasser time, even in a nano!

i was just saying the same thing to satchmo today. i just swapped him my squamosas from my 20g hospital for some frags. i told him he's gonna have to od his tank with b-ionic or go kalk.

the clams suck out the ca/alk like a straw (like stonys). three days after i took out another squamosa in my 5g nano my coralline finally re-appeared. i had been dosing >1ml/g of b-ionic daily before that!

eight heads?! whoa! B)

Yeah I am really happy with the specimen. Within a week of purchase, three of the five heads were compressing into an hourglass shape. Now there's actual separation, but the new branches are still so close together that the split is only visible when the tentacles are closed up after lights-out.

This tank has two firefish in it, as well as 5 astralias. Since the firefish are planktonic feeders, I feed finely chopped frozen formula 1 & formula 2 twice daily. A lot of this becomes invert food, and I'm wondering if the frogspawn is benefiting from it.

So far, no nitrite problems. There's some nice macro growth as well as coraline, and 2 gallons are changed weekly with distilled water.

Yes, more corals = more element consumption.

Some corals/clams will draw more or less depending on size, type of coral, and what it expels.

I have heard that LPS corals, because of their heavy slime production, do drag the KD more that most corals. Some softies do it too like Colt corals. I't pretty common.

Basically, you want to keep your eye on your levels pretty well after you've added a few things and adjust your dosing as needed.

Cameron

Archived